Tuesday 22 December 2015

The Daily Teaser — 22-12-2015

Hmmm … 

Looks like I’ve got an email from CBS.

So you know, they’re the company that ultimately owns the rights to Penny Dreadful: a show I’m thoroughly enjoyed for some time.

I’ve had a video up for a while: this clip.


That goes with this review.

Now, I’ve been disputing this for sometime: CBS have emailed me, saying, in part, “Unfortunately, we must object to your statements that your posting qualifies as a fair use.”

They don’t feel my posting the clip qualifies, and imply they’ll be prosecuting, in order to get it taken down.

BUT also say “To resolve the issues raised, we propose that you withdraw your appeal with YouTube and in exchange, CBS will release the block on your video.”

I’m … well … I’m hoping they’re acting in good faith, should I choose to take their offer up.   But HAVE to admit to a certain amount of healthy scepticism.

But might just send them an email, asking for their assurances that this is what will happen, and see how things go.

Here’s hoping … !

~≈Â≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* and Olga† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 22nd December is this year’s Winter Solstice.   It’s the longest what of 2015: day or night?
Q2) 22nd December, 1666, saw the birth of Guru Gobind Singh.   The Guru was a major figure in which religion?
Q3) 22nd December, saw the birth of James Maskelyne.   Maskelyne found fame as what: a composer, magician or actor?
Q4) Adolf Hitler signed an order, on 22nd December, 1942: that allowed for the development of which weapon?
Q5) Finally … the Lincoln Tunnel opened: on 22nd December, 1937.   It connects Weehawken, New Jersey, to which city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs debuted: on the 21st December, 1937.   Which character did Lucille la Verne provide the voice for?
A1) The Evil Queen, Grimhilde.
Q2) Rondane National Park was established: on 21st December, 1962.   It was and is the first national park: in which North European country?
A2) Norway.
Q3) On 21st December, 1995, the Palestinian government took formal control of which city?
A3) Bethlehem.
Q4) 21st December, 1118 — or 1120, according to some — saw the birth of Thomas Becket^.   Which English King ordered the death of the troublesome priest?
A4) Henry 2nd.
Q5) Finally … During World War 2, 21st December, 1941, saw Thailand sign a treaty with which Axis power?
A5) Japan.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Going to the movies was a big event in my youth. My father would be the initiator - he'd have me put on a jacket to see a film.”
Ralph Fiennes, born 22nd December, 1962.
And this tune …


I’ve FINALLY reached my day off.   Enjoy your day.   I’m planning to enjoy mine … 






















*        My pleasure, Debbi^!   Did I tell you, I’ve a copy of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds?   Burton was never asked to sing on it, as far as I know, but did a fantastic job of narration.   Oh, and the version of 1984 he did?   Fascinating watch …   (Oh, BOY … I’ve got legal trouble … !!)

†        Oh, I’m off, Olga^!   Finally!   It’s not going to be relaxing, though: deal with CBS, field a call from BT, write Teasers and make the videos … oh, and wrap more presents!   If I can find the Zodiac killer, that’ll be a bonus!   (Apparently the Emerald Buddha’s quite famous: oh, and seemingly, it saved Sri Lanka from a civil war.)

^        Oh, point of trivia for both of you: Brentwood’s got an Anglican church, dedicated to Saint Thomas a’Becket.   My home town used to be on the pilgrimage route to Canterbury, where he’s also been celebrated.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Night
Q2) Sikhism
Q3) Magician
Q4) The V-2 Rocket
Q5) Midtown Manhattan, New York.
I'm pleased you're finally off. I hope you can get a bit of "me" time and the issue with the CBS gets sorted.

Debbi said...

Very interesting!

1. night
2. Sikhism
3. a magician
4. an atom bomb or other nuclear weapon
5. New York

Nik Nak said...

I hope so, as well, Olga.

Oh, Debbi, I’ve BCC’ed to my reply to CBS … 

Figured I’d grab my nearest legal brain.

Ummm … 

How DO you spell Pro Bono Publico … ?