Thursday 24 December 2015

The Daily Teaser — 24-12-2015: Christmas Eve

Hmmm … 

THAT’S one hell of a thing to happen: on Christmas Eve.

You’ve possibly worked out I’m having a conversation with TV producers, CBS.

I’ve posted a clip from Penny Dreadful, a while back: under what I believe to be correctly used ‘Fair Use’ exceptions to US and UK law.

They’s replied to my recent email.   Asking me to remove the clip from YouTube.

And contradicting their original email, where they offer to unblock the video, if I cancel my appeal.

Hmmm … In amongst going to work, today, buying one last present, wrapping it and doing the tag, in between writing a few Teasers and doing the associated videos, AND pick up a prescription* … ?

I’ve got to deal with CBS.

Hmmm … 

Lovely … !

~≈§≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict†, Olga‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all three scoring six out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s Christmas Eve themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 24th December, 1968, saw the three astronauts on Apollo 8 read a verse of the bible: to mark Christmas Eve.   Name one of those astronauts.
Q2) More to the point, the reading was from which book of the Bible?
Q3) 24th December, 1914, saw a very unofficial Christmas truce start: during World War 1.   The Truce started, in and around which Belgian town?
Q4) Which famous British family traditionally opens its Christmas presents on Christmas Eve?
Q5) Jesus’s birth is traditionally seen as having taken place at night.   To mark this, many churches hold a midnight what, on Christmas Eve?
Q6) Nittel Nacht is a name given to Christmas Eve: by some Orthodox members of which religion?
Q7) Which European country declares its annual ‘Christmas Peace,’ on Christmas Eve?
Q8) Many Italian-American families celebrate the Feast of the Seven … what?
Q9) The 2015 film, Christmas Eve, sees its characters — including Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame — trapped in what?
Q10) Finally … who wrote the 1895 Russian opera, Christmas Eve?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 23rd December is — in the small village of Mousehole — the date of Tom Bawcock’s Eve.   Mousehole is in which English county?
A1) Cornwall.   (It’s pronounced Maus-all, so you know.)
Q2) More to the point, what pie is eaten on Tom Bawcock’s Eve?
A2) Stargazey Pie.   (I have no particular problem with fish pie.   I’d rather it DID’T stare at me, though …)
Q3) 23rd December is also Saint Thorlak’s Day.   Saint Thorlak is the patron of which island nation?
A3) Iceland.
Q4) According to TV show, Seinfeld, 23rd December is Festivus.   Usually celebrated by putting up an aluminium what?
A4) Pole.   (Apparently, the scriptwriter who came up with the idea, claimed it was based on an old family tradition: that originally involved nailing a clock in a bag to a wall.)
Q5) In Oaxaca, 23rd December is the Night of the … what?
A5) Radishes.   (Which doesn’t sound any odder than the pole … )
Q6) Finally … 23rd December is the official birthday of Emperor Akihito.   Akihito is emperor of where?
A6) Japan.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Oh, joy, Christmas Eve. By this time tomorrow, millions of Americans, knee deep in tinsel and wrapping paper, will utter those heartfelt words. ‘Is this all I got?’”
Kelsey Grammar.
And this tune: it was first performed on Christmas Eve, 1818, and was sung during the Christmas Truce, during WW1 … 


Have a good eve … 






















*        I suffer with mild depression: so I’m on an equally mild dose of Fluoxetine.   I’ve ALSO got an under-active thyroid.   Since being diagnosed with the thyroid problem, I’ve noticed my depression has gotten seriously easier to deal with: my general mood has improved a lot, my energy levels feel much higher … and going onto the medication has enabled me to lower the dose of Prozac.   Can I ask you, if depression is something that you suffer with?   Ask your GP to check your thyroid function: you will find that, if it’s under active, getting treatment for it can help.

†        Welcome back, Mr S!   And, yeah, I’m sort of with you: pies that stare at you don’t EXACTLY appeal … !

‡        Oh, I intend to, Olga!   CBS, in particular, are sounding … contradictory … !   Contradictory enough to be worth an extra post or two!   (At ANY rate … ?   I’m going to grab both Festivus pole, and tinfoil: I’ve been wondering what to cover the pole in … )

^        I can’t believe it, either, Debbi: but it’s happening.   What’s more, the company seems to be contradicting itself.   It’s frustrating: ESPECIALLY as they could well be generating a little goodwill: AND good publicity for themselves.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Oh, boy. Hope it all works out. I also have mild hypothyroid, but I'm taking a med for it and my energy is better!

Thanks for your card and happy Hogswatch! :-)

1. Frank Borman
2. Genesis
3. Ypres
4. the British Royal Family
5. mass
6. Judaism
7. Estonia
8. Fishes
9. elevators
10. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov