Saturday 11 January 2020

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children — A Review

11th January, 2020.


I have to admit, I think being out of a job can … well … 

Leave you in a funny mood, sometimes.

Thursday night, for example?

I tried sitting in with a film called The Wandering Earth.

And couldn’t get through more than half of it.

I’m frankly, blaming my extremely odd mood.

I just couldn’t sit still long enough for it.

Tonight, on the other hand … ?

Tonight, I still feel … slightly meh, to use a term … 

I did manage to catch a movie … 

Yes: you’ve possibly worked out which one.

I’ve been meaning to watching Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for some time, now.

~≈¥≈~


Based on the book of the same name, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children introduces us to Jake (Asa Butterfield): a teenager who’s been brought up on stories of monsters by his grandfather, Abe (Terence Stamp), a man who’d survived the war … in a very strange children’s home in Wales.

One night, though?

One night, Jake decides to visit his grandfather: after the old man doesn’t answer the phone.

Only to find him dying on the edge to the woodlands … with his eyes removed by something.

After the old man is buried … ?

After the old man is buried, with the persuasion of his family psychiatrist, and the re-reading of an old letter to his grandfather from the mysterious Miss Peregine (Eva Green), Jake and his father, Franklin (Chris O’Dowd) decide to visit Wales: and the island where the children’s home is supposed to be.

It’s a ruin.

A ruin destroyed in 1943 by a Luftwaffe raid.

A ruin that Jake is keen to explore.

Only to realise that there’s someone else there … 

~≈¥≈~

Now … 

Was this good … ?

I’m … 

I’m conflicted, I think.

On the one hand?

I don’t think Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is stunning.

Burton’s direction is OK, I think.

The acting’s OK, if mixed: everything from wooden to over the top.

The sets are great: the Home, itself, is wonderful.

The effects are perfectly acceptable: although I think the final battle at the end could have had a bit more thrust to it.

Being honest?

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is an OK film.

It’s worth watching for the world building.

But it isn’t perfect.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.
★★☆☆

No comments: