Friday 17 January 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-1-2020: The Cherry Orchard

17th January, 2020.


Right … about the boiler situation … 

As you’re possibly aware, I report my boiler as broken at the end of December: and had the repair man turn out, on Wednesday.

He told me that I’d need extensive repair work: so extensive, that a replacement boiler could well be a better option … and that he would be recommended what’s called a DRC survey from a superior.

So that a senior person from his company can issue the relevant approval.

I was going to phone the contractors, yesterday to arrange that: once I got back from the Job Centre.

Except that they managed to phone: at 8:30, yesterday morning.

And arrange the visit for this morning: between eight and one.

The sooner the better, I hope.

The sooner my boiler’s repaired, the better.

~≈¥≈~

Can I make a confession?

I’m a Terry Pratchett fan: one who thoroughly enjoy Good Omens, when it was released.

And pleased to know other are, as well: now it’s being aired on BBC2.

However?

I’ve seen stuff go past about The Watch, BBC America’s take on Sir Terry’s work.

I’ve seen news of the various bits of casting, go past.

Seen some of the publicity shots.

Frankly?

BBC America is making a show I’m planning to go nowhere near.

It’s a travesty.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Noted Russian play, The Cherry Orchard, premiered on 17th January.   In which year?
Q2) In which Russian city?
Q3) Who wrote The Cherry Orchard?
Q4) Who directed this version of The Cherry Orchard?
Q5) Finally?   Is The Cherry Orchard a comedy or tragedy?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 16th January is National Religious Freedom Day, where: the US, UK or UAE?
A1) The USA.
Q2) 16th January, 1964, saw the debut of Hello, Dolly!.   Where: the West End, Broadway or the Ginza?
A2) Broadway.
Q3) 16th January, 2018, saw police open fire on a group of Rakhine protestors.   In which country was this?
A3) Myanmar: also known as Burma.
Q4) 16th January, 1920, saw the first meeting of the League of Nations.   In which European city?
A4) Paris, France.
Q5) 16th January, 1979, saw the birth of singer, Aaliyah.   Her death, in 2001, was in a what: train crash, plane crash or car crash?
A5) Plane crash.
Here’s a thought …
“The train’s arrived, thank God. What’s the time?”
Lopakhin, Act 1, scene 1, of The Cherry Orchard.
And a play …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I really couldn’t tell you about the song, Olga.   Thankfully, Taco hasn’t shown up!   Equally?   I’m thankful that the contractors phoned, yesterday, to arrange the visit for today.   Someone’s learning: quite who, I don’t know.   As for planned obsolescence?   You know, I think the BBC’s had something about that, recently.   And I can remember when — here in the UK — the various bits of legislation about green lightbulbs came in.   I seem to recall that a few epileptics, and migraine sufferers complained: as the new green bulbs could act as a trigger!

†        It’s worth a go, Debbi, it really is: and the ending makes perfect sense, given it’s part of the Batman universe.   It’s very dark, though.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1904
Q2) Moscow
Q3) Anton Chekhov
Q4) Konstantin Stanislavski
Q5) Well, now that depends. It seems Chekhov intended it as a comedy, but Stanislavski turned it into a tragedy, and it’s defined as a drama. I’ve watched it on theatre a couple of times (one with Angela Rippon on it, another with Vanessa Redgrave, yes, both great versions), and there is a bit of both, although I’d say it’s quite a melancholic play, but it depends on the production. I love Chekhov (and not only because one of the characters in The Three Sisters is called Olga…)
Good luck with the boiler. I know it’s been a long time coming, but one can’t but hope…

Debbi said...

Rick has gotten so down on the whole Gotham-Batman thing. I think it kind of depresses him. :)

1. 1904
2. Moscow
3. Anton Chekhov
4. Konstantin Stanislavski
5. Um, both? According to Chekhov, it was a comedy, but Stanislavski directed it like a tragedy. It has a dual nature that directors continue to debate. Does that answer the question? :)