Thursday 16 January 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th January, 2020.

16th January, 2020.


Right … I’m feeling vaguely rushed.

I’ve got a meeting at the Job Centre at nine thirty.

But … ?

But, I hear you ask?

I had an engineer visit, yesterday: to look at my boiler.

His view?

The last set of visits, three months ago?

Made a complete hash of the job.

Which I knew.

I’m boiling the bath water as we speak.

But, in this engineer’s opinion?

As the boiler would have to come off the wall so the element could be replaced, and everything flushed, and god knows what else??

It would be a lot to replace the boiler, as repair it.

Much as happened the last time the thing needed repairing?

I have to phone up the contractors to book a supervisor visit, that will authorise that repair.

Much as I did in November.

Hey ho … !

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 16th January is National Religious Freedom Day, where: the US, UK or UAE?
Q2) 16th January, 1964, saw the debut of Hello, Dolly!.   Where: the West End, Broadway or the Ginza?
Q3) 16th January, 2018, saw police open fire on a group of Rakhine protestors.   In which country was this?
Q4) 16th January, 1920, saw the first meeting of the League of Nations.   In which European city?
Q5) 16th January, 1979, saw the birth of singer, Aaliyah.   Her death, in 2001, was in a what: train crash, plane crash or car crash?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 15th January saw the debut of TV series, Happy Days.   In which year?
A1) 1974.
Q2) On which US network?
A2) ABC.
Q3) Central character, Ritchie Cunningham, was played by who?
A3) Director and actor, Ron Howard.
Q4) Name either of Ritchie’s parents.
A4) Father, Howard Cunningham or mother, Marion Cunningham.
Q5) Henry Winkler played Arthur Fonzarelli.   Also known as whom?
A5) The Fonz, or Fonzie.
Q6) Recurring character, Chachi, was played by Scott Baio.   He made his screen debut in which 1976 musical?
A6) Bugsy Malone.   (Oh, hell with it, have a tune.)
Q7) Chachi’s girlfriend was Ritchie’s sister, Joanie.   Who played Joanie?
Q8) Happy Days was set in which US city?
A8) Milwaukee.
Q9) Which cafe featured in the series?
A9) Arnold’s Drive In.   (Also knowns as Al’s.)
Q10) Finally … ?   Which Happy Days spin-off starred Robin Williams and Pam Dawber?
Here’s a thought …
“There’s a dark side to me that comes out in everything I do.”
Aaliyah, January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        My pleasure, any time, Olga‡.   And, as you can see … ?   The Boiler situation is … ongoing … !   (Like I said to Debbi on Twitter?   Groundhog Day seems to be happening: the LAST set of repairs — for exactly the same thing — was in November: three months ago.)

†        Yeah, he does!   What CAN we say, Debbi‡?   Oh, that’s a thought, have you seen Joker, yet?   It’s rather good.


‡        Turns out Google are working on an experimental new operating system called Fuchsia.   I can Neve hear the word without thinking of Neve McIntosh!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The US
Q2) Broadway
Q3) Myanmar (Or the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, or Burma)
Q4) Paris
Q5) A plane crash
It does indeed sound like Groundhog Day, although I am not sure what can you learn from the experience by repeating it... I hope you don't wake up every day to the same song... (I guess if you didn't have heating it should be considered an emergency this time of the year, but if it isn't a combi boiler... I'm sure you've done all the official pushing and complaining possible, shame them on Twitter perhaps? I keep hearing that some services are more responsive to comments on social media, but I'm not sure that would be the case here, and I know you have worked on that side of things. (Take hostage the next repairman and don't let them out until it is sorted?) Funnily enough, I was watching a programme yesterday about the move to repair appliances instead of just buying new ones and programmed obsolescence (they were talking to a guy here, in Barcelona, who'd designed a light bulb made to last for 80 or 90 years, and it seems the secret is to build them as it used to be done in the past. Oh, heck).

Debbi said...

Actually, haven't seen it. Not quite sure I wanted to. I'll check out your review.

1. the US
2. Broadway
3. Myanmar
4. Paris
5. plane crash