Thursday 9 January 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th January, 2020

9th January, 2020.


Have you ever had something of a New Year’s clear up?

I just have.

Having donated a hell of a lot of books that had been gathering dust to various local charity shops.

Some of the quiz books I had … ?   Well, I think I can say they’ve outlived their purpose.

I’ve either scanned them into my computer, long ago, or re-written whatever was in them long ago*.

Right now, though … ?

I now have more shelf space.

Which probably won’t last long … 

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th January is Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: marked in which country?
Q2) Actor, Clive Dunn, was born on 9th January, 1920: one hundred years ago, today.   Dunn played Lance-Corporal Jones in Dad’s Army.   What was Jones’ day job?
Q3) Sir Anthony Eden resigned his post: on 9th January, 1957.   Which post was it?
Q4) Guitarist, Jimmy Page, was born on 9th January, 1944.   Before joining Led Zeppelin, he was a temporary member of which rock band?
Q5) Finally … ?   9th January, 1816, saw Sir Humphrey Davy test his what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 8th January, 2020, is a Wednesday.   The last time the 8th January fell on a Wednesday was in which year: 2013, 2014 or 2015?
A1) 2014.
Q2) The Christian feast, Ash Wednesday, takes place in the run up to which Christian festival: Christmas, Lent or the Feast of the Immaculate Conception?
A2) Lent.
Q3) Holy Wednesday is the Wednesday before what: Christmas, Easter or the Feast of the Immaculate Conception?
A3) Easter.
Q4) In economics, Black Wednesday saw the UK withdraw from the ERM: the European Exchange Rate Mechanism.   Black Wednesday took place in which year of the 1990s?
A4) 1992.
Q5) Finally?   Wednesday Island is in an archipelago off of the coast of which continent: Europe, Africa or Antarctica?
Here’s a thought …
“You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live. Now.”
Joan Baez, born January 9, 1941.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Back in the day, the spreadsheet of quiz questions I use to catalogue the questions I write, would fit on a floppy disk.   These days?   It wouldn’t.   In other words, I’ve written more than I’ve pinched … … 

†        I think I’m going to need it, Olga!   I’m just glad I got some shelves, cleared!   (Oh, by the way, your look-a-like’s turned up!)

‡        You right, there, Debbi.   I think the real deal breaker is the rise of streaming.   (Getting ride of a pile of quiz books is another sign, I think.   The amount of questions I’ve written over the years … )

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Republic of India
Q2) Butcher
Q3) British Prime Minister
Q4) The Yardbirds
Q5) Safety lamp
I think I am her look-alike more like it! Pleased to see and hear her here. I have donated books to the library (although they only want them either new or in very good condition) and to charity shops, but again they didn't want them all and at times they have far too many. Here I got some of the English novels I had several copies of or didn't think I'd read again to the library and they were happy (they were even happy for me to donate copies of my own books), but it's difficult. I managed to sell a few when I moved back to Spain, but even expensive textbooks were of no interest to anybody. Oh, and I left a box full of my own books with a friend because I didn't want to have to pay to bring them with me here where I wouldn't manage to sell them. I doubt that he will ever manage to get them sold, but he regularly organizes book fairs, so he has a bit more of a chance, and it would go to charity. Luckily most of my books are now in electronic book format because I have hundreds...
I haven't heard back from the writer who wanted reviews on his book of trivia, but from personal experience, I know that the editing process always takes longer than one thinks. We shall see.

Debbi said...

You should put a quiz book of your own together. Facts aren't copyrightable, you know. Only the way they're expressed in a fixed, tangible form or something like that. :)

You could do a bunch based on theme! Really! There's a bit of extra dosh in that. Maybe a small amount, but you're perfectly poised to release those books based on your extensive blogging! In other words, you have what all authors want--a platform and a brand. You're the Trivia Guy!

1. India
2. butcher
3. Prime Minister
4. the Yardbirds
5. safety lamp

The quizzes are also highly addictive. I speak from experience here. And that's a good thing. :)