Saturday 11 April 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11-4-2020: International Louie Louie Day

11th April, 2020.


In between writing Teasers?

I do stuff.

I make videos, do laundry, watch TV and movies … 

And like a book at bedtime.

Currently?

I’m reading The Kalevala, the Finnish national epic: in an English translation by Keith Bosley.

It’s gorgeous reading: and possibly one of the few I’m tempted to read around to myself.

Just so I have a handle on the rhythms of the thing!

It’s a gorgeous read: one whose best cantos tell the story of the doomed Kullervo.

I’ve just finished that section.

And?

I don’t think I’ve read anything like it.

I’ve possibly said this before, but I’ll reiterate it now.

The Kalevala is worth your time.
“Do not, folk of the future, bring up a child crookedly,
with someone stupid lulling
a stranger sending to sleep!”
Canto 37:32

The Kalevala, translated by Keith Bosley.
~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

The day also saw Trevor‡ leaving a message!

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Believe it or not, 11th April is International Louie Louie Day.   Marking the day the song was written by Richard Berry.   The best known version was by which band?
Q2) They released it in which year of the 1960s?
Q3) Berry’s version was released in which year of the 1950s?
Q4) Which British band released a version in 1964: the Beatles, the Who or the Kinks?
Q5) Finally … ?   There’s a version of the song on the 1981 album, I Love Rock and Roll.   Which band released I Love Rock and Roll?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 10th April saw the birth of actor, Omar Sharif.   In which year?
A1) 1932.
Q2) He was born in Alexandria: in what’s now which country?
A2) Egypt.
Q3) His first film was one in his native country, in 1954.   What was it called?
Q4) His first English language film was Lawrence of Arabia: in which year?
A4) 1962.
Q5) More to the point, who did he play in Lawrence of Arabia?
Q6) He played the lead in which 1960, David Lean directed, film?
Q7) Who wrote the novel that film was based on?
Q8) Omar played Nicky Arnstein in Funny Girl.   Who played the Funny Girl, in Funny Girl?
Q9) He had a minor part in The 13th Warrior.   The 13th Warrior was a re-telling of what: Romeo and Juliet, Beowulf or the Kalevala?
A9) Beowulf.
Q10) Finally … ?  Omar was a noted player of which card game?
Here’s a lyric …
“A fine little girl, she waits for me
Me catch the ship across the sea
Me sailed the ship all alone
Me never think I'll make it home.”
The opening verse of Louie Louie.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Good luck for the grades, Olga^: although, knowing how you score, here, I have the feeling you’ll ace it!   Oh, something that may interest your students — if you’ve started by then — is the 23rd April: this year I’m marking UN English Language Day, again.   It’s an inexhaustible subject!   Hmmm … If it’s any help?   I’ve always been told keeping my CV to two sides of A4 is the best best: especially if you can summarise your career, effectively.   I’ve effectively got two versions of mine: one I hand out to employers, and one that’s an accurate record of my career!   Oh, and they always remind us to — ahem! — tailor our CVs, as needed.   If I’m applying to McDonalds, I’d emphasise my work at KFC: if I’m sending it to to the Dog and Bone, I’d highlight my ability to do pub quizzes.   I hope that helps!

†        It always amazes me what I find out, Debbi!   That bit of gossip came from my time at the Hutton: a lot of people played backgammon!   We’re get an audience!

‡        Cheers, Trevor: I got it corrected.

^        Oh, movies, Olga!   I was thinking of watching The Long Good Friday, yesterday.   The amount of people that didn’t spot THAT bit of irony … !

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Kingsmen
Q2) 1963
Q3) 1957
Q4) The Kinks
Q5) Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
I'll keep you posted on the grades front, although I don't think it matters too much. The main thing is to have the certificate. We have access to an advisor from the school that helps with CVs and career advice, and I sent him my first attempt. We'll see. Here they recommend a CV that only takes up one side of an A4 sheet, so there isn't space for much, and all the models they've shown us only list two previous jobs. Here, in Spain, they also want a picture, so that leaves even less space. Most of my jobs are irrelevant to teaching, so I've only included my online teaching at the UoPeople and the teaching I did when I was doing my PhD at Sussex University (I was a TA there). I mention in my intro that I worked in mental health but I don't go into more details. I imagine the best thing to do would be to say that a full list of previous jobs would be available on request (I have a long list as I worked as a locum when I was studying for my PhD and after I finished).
The career advisor told us we could use Canva for templates, and they have some beautiful ones, but looks seem to be more important than content.
I also need to get a picture for it, because my old ones are quite old now, and I've given up on dying my hair, so I look a bit different, but I'll have to wait until they let us out (I want something that looks vaguely professional at least).
Enjoy your films and series! (Oh, I saw that TVE, to celebrate the number of followers on YouTube were sharing el Ministerio there... It seems they start every morning at 10 am with a new series.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJv2HRkN34
And here in full
https://www.rtve.es/television/ministerio-del-tiempo/

Debbi said...

That's a good movie, Paul! I love Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren in it.

1. The Kingsmen
2. 1963
3. 1955
4. The Kinks
5. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

David said...

Jacob for Downie, do you read me? Tell my wife I love her very much. She knoooooooooooows...

1. The Kingsmen
2. 1963
3. 1957
4. The Kinks
5. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts