Friday 17 April 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-4-2020: The Peak District

17th April, 2020.


Life under Lock down … ?

Is continuing.

I suspect that you — as I — am getting frustrated.

If for no other reason than not being able to visit friends and family … 

Sunday night dinner at mine … is odd … 

At any rate … ?   Things are frustrating enough that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are doing interviews about the state of the nation’s mental health.

It’s … 

Well … 

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five and Olga on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Peak District was named as the UK’s first National Park: on 17th April of which year?
Q2) The District is at the southern end of which chain?
Q3) The Ancient Roman town of Aquae Arnemetiae is in the Peak District.   What’s the town now called?
Q4) What’s the Peak District’s Highest point … ?
Q5) Finally … ?   The park covers roughly how many square miles: 333 square miles, 444 square miles or 555 square miles?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 16th April is World what Day: World Voice Day, World Sight Day or World Hearing Day?
Q2) 16th April is the feast day of Saint Drogo of Sebourg.   He was born in Flanders: in what’s now which country?
A2) Belgium.
Q3) Conservative MP, Harvey Proctor, appeared in court on charges of Indecency: on 16th April, 1987.   Which constituency did he represent at the time?
Q4) The Treaty of Accession was signed on 16th April, 2003.   It admitted ten new members to what: the UN, NATO or the EU? 
A4) The European Union, or EU.
Q5) Finally … ?   16th April, 1889, saw the birth of Charlie Chaplin.   His best known stage persona was that of the … what?
A5) The Tramp.
Here’s a thought …
“Goodbye Darcy, goodbye Jean, goodbye stone cottage, scratchy towels, fields of wildflowers; good bye gorgeous Peak District.”
Susan Branch.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        I’ll have to try and see if I can use those, Olga: every little helps.   Good luck with them, though!   I’ve just had a look at Chaplin’s Wikipedia entry: I knew his last wife was younger than him, but that’s quite an age gap.   It also seem one charge was a result of J. Edgar not liking Chaplin, much!   It’s funny you should mention the Teasers being inspirational: an old friend’s been doing quizzes for his family as a result: and another’s been asking about YouTubing.  (Sorry about the score, Olga: but it seems Epinoy has … issues!   As I said to Trevor, I’ve mentioned it on the relevant talk pages … but … )

†        Yeah, I noticed, Trevor: I have raised it on the talk pages.   Quite what will happen, there, I don’t know, but at least I could something.   Just don’t ask About Batman.

‡        Yeah, that’ll do, Debbi!   Did you know Bluebottle was voice by Peter Sellers … ?

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1951

A2 Pennines

A3 Buxton

A4 Kinder Scout (site of the 1932 mass trespass of Hikers)

A5 555 square miles

Olga said...

Q1) 1951
Q2) Pennines
Q3) Buxton
Q4) Kinder Scout
Q5) 555
The Peak District is an area I'm familiar with, as I lived on its edge and I would visit sometimes with my friend Sumi and her family. Did you notice? Penistone gets a mention in the Wikipedia article.
It's a difficult situation for everybody. I was exchanging messages with one of my cousins, whose mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia about a year ago, but who still lives alone (I don't think that will be possible for much longer), and she was telling me it was difficult to make her understand she should not leave the house and shouldn't go out. Apart from dementia, she has a number of medical issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, back problems), so she's high risk. She also told me that her youngest daughter is finding it quite hard to cope with (she is, "energetic" to put it mildly).
I'm lucky I'm with my mother, and she's not alone (and neither am I), but we miss going out, that's for sure.
Take care.

Debbi said...

Did not know that!

1. 1951
2. The Pennines
3. Buxton
4. Kinder Scout
5. 555 square miles

I can recognize that voice, for sure. :)