Monday 13 April 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13-4-2020: Monday

13th April, 2020.


It’s officially official: it’s Easter Monday … 

And life goes on.

Lockout is still in place, here in the UK.

And, for many of us, that’s still frustrating.

There’s also a certain amount of sadness, as well.

As yesterday saw the death of comedian, Goody, and I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue panellist, Tim Brooke-Taylor.

The world’s a smaller place.

~≈†≈~

How are you with mis-selling?

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a gift for a friend.

And managed to buy three of these USB flash memory drives: from a third party Ebay seller called Fashionjiacl.

They, supposedly, had a capacity of some two terabytes: roughly two thousand hours of video, depending on the format and resolution.

At the advertised price, two terabytes is a godsend: especially if you are unemployed, and don’t have much money to spend.

I ordered three: which took a while to get to me.

When they did?   I immediately start copying my Dr Who collection over to one of them.

That took about twenty-four hours, given the amount of data.

The data didn’t copy.

The stick — which was showing up both mo my Mac, and my Ubuntu MATE laptop, as a two terabyte drive — wouldn’t hold more than approximately thirty-two (32) gigabytes.

So … ?

I complained to the sellers: who — initially — only offered a thirty percent refund: roughly the price of one of the sticks I’d bought.

I told them this wasn’t good enough.

They then offered a thirteen pound refund.

I refused, again.

And told Fashionjiacl that, unless I got a full refund, I’d be reporting the to the consumer show, Watchdog, and watching a blog post about it and reporting them to Ebay, itself.

Something I’m still thinking of doing.

They refunded the money: which arrived in my bank account, yesterday.

I’m happy with that.

But?

I’m left with a bad taste in my mouth.

For a start?

Fashionjiacl is STILL offering hooky USB sticks on Ebay.

They HAVE added a footnote to say the devices are not the advertised two terabytes, but nearer thirty-two gigabytes: at the bottom of the page, in the proverbial last place we would look.

Something they weren’t doing when I bought them.

I’m assuming the things would still show up as two terabytes in any computer they’re connected to: so any one buying them would have no way of accurately know what the things could hold, or are holding.

I will give Fashionjiacl credit for refunding my money.

But … ?

I believe they are guilty of mis-selling.

And, given that this sort of thing seems to be common?   It’s something I thought I should warn you about.



~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, David‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 13th April 2020, is a Monday.   When was the last year it was a Monday?
Q2) The name, Monday, roughly means what: Moon day, sun day or star day?
Q3) Jelune is the word for Monday, in which British language: English, Welsh, Cornish or Manx?
Q4) According to ISO 8601, Monday is which day of the week: first, second or third?
Q5) Mondays are one day of the week in which Muslims are encouraged to voluntarily what?
Q6) In Jewish tradition, what is traditionally read on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays?
Q7) Whit Monday is the Monday after what: Pentecost, Easter Sunday or Christmas Day?
Q8) Blue Monday is said to be the most depressing day of the year.   It’s usually seen as the third Monday of which month?
Q9) Blue Monday was a 1984 hit for which band: Joy Division, John Foxx or New Order?
Q10) Finally … ?   Big Monday is a show on sports channel, ESPN.   It usually shows which sport: American football, baseball or basketball?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 12th April is Yuri’s Night: marking the first human to be launched into space.   That human was Yuri … who?
Q2) That launch was on 12th April of which year?
A2) 1961.
Q3) The ship was the Vostok … what?
A3) The Vostok 1.
Q4) The ship was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome.   The Cosmodrome is where: Kazakhstan, Georgia or Uzbekistan?
A4) Kazakstan.
Q5) Finally … ?   How long was the ship in orbit: 100 minutes, 108 minutes or 116 minutes?
Here’s a thought …
“In all possible universes, Monday was the same.”
Phillip K. Dick.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I think they’s possibly geo-restricted it, Olga: which is a shame, but doesn’t surprise me.   I think the international rights are with Netflix, aren’t they: which is hard on viewers outside Spain!   I’ll DEFINITELY be keeping my eyes peeled, though!

†        Cheers, Trevor: I’ve got it corrected!   I THINK there’s a few alternative spellings, though … !

‡        You weren’t to know, David.   Here’s hoping today’s playlist goes down well.

^        Thought you might, Debbi! :D.  (Hope yours went well!   I’ve still got my Easter egg!)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2015
Q2) Moon day
Q3) Manx
Q4) first
Q5) fast
Q6) The Torah
Q7) Pentecost
Q8) January
Q9) New Order
Q10) Basketball
Perhaps. That would be the most likely explanation. I shared it on your Facebook page and it seemed to appear, but even if the content is restricted, I'm sure you should be able to find their YouTube Channel (after all, RTVE have an international channel as well, and radio programmes). That was only going on for the last three days, though. It was a marathon and I suspect the links only worked on the day when they were streaming the programme, but you might want to keep an eye on their YouTube Channel if you can find it, as they are likely to share news and updates as well.
I'm sorry about the USB sticks. Thanks for the warning. I don't tend to save movies, so I don't need so much memory, and the last ones I've bought I got at a local supermarket with an electronics department, that had some pretty good offers (although, of course, that was before Coronavirus). Keep safe.

trev-v said...

Again your maths is wrong. 4 people got all 5 answers right but you said "with both scoring five out of five".

A1 2015

A2 Moon Day

A3 Manx

A4 first

A5 voluntary fasting

A6 Torah

A7 Pentecost (I was born on a Whit Sunday -Pentecost – way back in the early part of the 20th Century)

A8 January (in the northern hemisphere only. It is mid Summer down under)

A9 New Order

A10 Division I college basketball

Debbi said...

Very good! :)

1. 2015
2. Moon day
3. Manx
4. first
5. fast
6. the Torah
7. Pentecost
8. January
9. New Order
10. basketball