Saturday 15 April 2023

Star Trek Picard — Series 3 Episode 9 — Vox — A Review

14th April, 2023: ‘Vox’.


Right …

It’s officially Friday.

And, frankly … ?

Chips are being cooked, washing is being washed, video intros have been made, and stuff, done.

Including phone calls.

The mystery of why we’re supposed to eat fish on a Friday … is still unsolved.

But at least I’m having crinkle cut chips.

At any rate … ?

It’s Friday, once more: and, once I’ve eaten dinner?

I’ll be watching ‘Vox’, the penultimate episode of Star Trek Picard’s third and final season.

I’ll have my review up on the 15the April.

~≈🖖≈~


15th April, 2023.

Episode 9 — Vox — opens with with a summary of earlier episodes.

Then shifts: to show us Counsellor Troi (Marina Sirtis) cutting her treatment of Jack (Ed Speelers) short, when she discovers an image of what’s behind the red door in Jack’s mind.

It’s something that forces the veteran therapist to flee the room: and immediately seek out both Admiral Picard, and Dr Crusher (Patrick Stewart and Gates McFadden.)

Post titles?

Jack demands that the Admiral tells him what Troi has seen in his head: to be shocked that it’s an image of a Borg cube!

A heavily armed Borg cube.

The Admiral is called away to Sickbay.

Where Geordi, Data and Dr Crusher have found that the Irumodic Syndrome Picard thought he had … was actually genetic tampering the Borg had done, while Picard had been captured by the Borg, and turned into the monstrous Locutus.

That genetic tampering?   Has been passed onto Jack.

Tampering that’s been passed onto to others: as, with help from the Changelings, the Borg have been able to insert that genetic code into the parietal lobes of everyone in Starfleet.

Through each ship’s transporters.

Everyone in Starfleet’s who’s under the age of 25, or their species’ equivalent of 25?

Is slowly, but surely being assimilated.

That’s not the worst of it.

No, the worst of it?

Is revealed by Admiral Shelby (Elizabeth Dennehy), in a broadcast for Frontier Day.

Every ship in the fleet has been networked, together.

Every single one is as vulnerable as their young crew: to being possessed by the Borg.

Frankly?

Admiral Picard and his crew have only one of preventing disaster.

Stopping the Borg … by finding the only ship that isn’t synchronised with the rest of the fleet …  

~≈🖖≈~

Now … 

What did I think of ‘Vox’, this penultimate episode … ?

For starterss, the big reveal?

That the Borg are back in town … ?

Is superbly done!

We now know that there’s an active Queen (Jane Edwina Seymour), one that’s behind the plan to to hijack Frontier Day, and has been behind Changeling attempts to kidnap Jack.

Which makes perfect sense of the episode’s title.

In a throwaway line from the Queen, we find that his Borg ‘name’ is Vox: Jack is “… Not Locutus, the one who speaks.   You are the voice itself.”

We see no more of Jack in this episode.

But I suspect … he’ll be seen again in next week’s episode.

~≈🖖≈~

I am very aware that the big revelation makes perfect sense: at least, to me.

The first two series of Star Trek Picard has seen the Borg crop up in major roles: either either Jonathan Del Arco’s Hugh Borg, or Annie Wersching’s version of the Queen.

So a third appearance?   Alongside the Changelings, and a threatened Earth?

Is both a treat: makes sense, as it continues to show us the Federation’s greatest enemy.

As is another old friend: the Enterprise D, last seen being destroyed in Star Trek Generations, has been rebuilt by Geordi LaForge (LeVar Burton.)

And is now back in flight … 

It’s not often I get tearful at an episode of TV.

But that scene?   Complete with archive audio of the late Majel Barrett as the voice of the Enterprise computer?

Was one of the few times I have.

‘Vox’?

Is absolutely incredible!

This is a beautifully done episode: and possibly the highlight of the series.

OK … I’m going to have an issue in the distinct lack of Michelle Hurd’s Raffi.

I’ve seriously fond of that character!

I also have a question.

I know we have a Borg Queen: we only see her from behind, when she confronts Jack, and I’m expecting her big reveal to be done in next week’s episode, ‘The Last Generation’ … 

But I’m wondering if it’s the same Queen from season two of Star Trek Picard, the one played by Annie Wersching.


I’m assuming not: I’m assuming that Queen was one specific to the Confederation Universe.

I don’t know: but would love to find out.

I’d also have to ask this.

We know there’s two Borg Queens in this universe: the one we’ve seen in this episode … and the one from Season Two: the one that is a Borged version of Agnes Jurati (Alison Pill).

What’s happened to her?

Is Queen Agnes still alive?

And will she be able to help?

I really want to find out!

~≈🖖≈~

I’ll be doing that, when I watch the last episode of Star Trek Picard, next week.

That episode?

Is ‘The Last Generation’: I’ll be watching it on 21st April: and posting my written and video reviews on Saturday, 22nd April.

Let’s not call it a date.

Let’s call it the grand finale.

I’ll see you then!
‘Vox’.
★★★★⁺

No comments: