Thursday 27 April 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-4-2023 — Mary Wollstonecraft.

27th April, 2023: Mary Wollstonecraft.


Right … I think I need to get to the High Street, again.

I THINK I have a thing or two that need to go back to Amazon.

And then replaced … by teatowels.

It’s amazing how mucky they get.

~≈🜄≈~

I was there, yesterday, I should add: in Brentwood Library.

Scanning in a bunch of paperwork that I think I’ll need for a PIP claim.

Hopefully?

It’ll help!

These things are always a gamble, aren’t they?

~≈🜄≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

The day also saw Trevor§ leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        27th April saw the birth of writer, Mary Wollstonecraft.   In which year of the 1750s?

Q2)        She’s considered a founding figure in which movement: feminism, communism or futurism?

Q3)        She’s best remembered as the author of 1792’s A Vindication of The Rights ofwhom?

Q4)        She wrote Mary: A Fiction and Maria: or, The Wrongs of Woman.   Both novels criticised what: marriage, motherhood or capitalism?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Mary died after giving birth to her second child.   Who was that child?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Hull was devastated by fire: on 26th April, 1900.   Hull, where: Quebec, California or England?
A1)        Quebec.

Q2)        Solomon Joel Cohen died on 26th April, 1976.   He was better known as which Carry On … actor: Sid James, Charles Hawtry or Kenneth Williams? 
A2)        Sid James.

Q3)        26th April, 2005, saw Syrian troops pull out of where: Israel, Lebanon or Libya?
A3)        Lebanon.

Q4)        John Wilkes Booth was shot dead, by Union soldiers: on 26th April, 1865.   Famously, Booth had assassinated which US president?
A4)        Abraham Lincoln.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Chernobyl reactor exploded: on 26th April, 1986.   Reactor, accident and the town of Chernobyl, are in what’s now where: Ukraine, Belorus or Russia?
A5)        Ukraine.
Here’s a thought …
“The endeavour to keep alive any hoary establishment beyond its natural date is often pernicious and always useless.”
Mary Wollstonecraft.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        Will do, Olga!
        Oh, did I mention I’m reading Randall Munroe’s How To, after you suggested it?   It’s an interesting read … but the font is off-puttingly small!   It must be ten-point sized.   The only other time I’ve read something that small was a role-playing game called Traveller.   And that was thirty years ago, when my eyes were a lot younger!

‡        I’m with you there, Debbi: happy birthday, Trevor!   At any rate, Debbi, did I tell you I’ve been reading an old Judge Dredd story called The Cursed Earth?   The uncensored version?   I’ve JUST got to the bit with the Jolly Green Giant!


§        Happy birthday, again, Trevor.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1759

Q2) Feminism

Q3) Woman

Q4) marriage

Q5) Mary Shelley
I find Mary Wollstonecraft fascinating. I do most of my reading these days in e-book format, so I have no idea how big or small the print might be, as you can adjust the size. It is very handy, because my eyesight is shot to bits (for close reading. Distance is not that bad, although it is not as good as it once was either, but is to be expected. I'll be 58 next week, after all!)
I hope your hard work has good results. You are right, one never knows, but it is worth trying. Fingers crossed!

Freda said...

1 1759
2 Feminism
3 Women
4 Marriage
5 Mary Shelley

Debbi said...

Wow! I never knew. :)

1. 1759
2. feminism
3. Woman
4. marriage
5. Mary Shelley