Sunday 18 January 2009

The Da Vinci Code: Codes, Signs and Entertaining Hokum


Hmmm. Now there’s a thing of debate …

I managed to have another get together, with Adrian and Allison, rather than our usual co-watcher, Paul^, over an entertaining – albeit largely hokie – flick, last night.

Ron Howard’s film from Dan Brown’s book of the same name, The Da Vinci Code.

And I’m fairly convinced it’s hokum, in the sense of being fairly informal nonsense. But it was entertaining, and an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours, and something that should be seen with that in mind. And worth watching for dear, dear Sir Ian’s only slightly overdone performance as Sir Leigh Teabing.

But I do realize that it’s a film and book that comes with quite a bit of baggage.

If nothing else, one or two … issues

Now, I’ve always seen myself as agnostic, rather than either believer, or non-believer. I think I, like many others who’ve had some form of helpful contact with twelve step groups will find prayer to be of help – whether or if there’s a Higher Power listening is another matter, but but something I’ve found helpful to assume there is, when needed. And I’ve always viewed organized religion* as much like anything we make for ourselves: capable of both good and ill, at the same time.

So, for me, one of The Da Vinci Code’s central ideas – that Jesus Christ was married, and had descendants – isn’t one that I found myself disagreeing with, upsetting though I realize it is for many. I’ve always found myself agreeing with the authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail that, if God became manifest as human, his story would be incomplete, somehow, if he didn’t share the full range of human experience,

Although I realize perfectly well that this, and other aspects of the story – the accuracy of Dan Brown’s research is a start point, here, along with the credibility of the Priory of Sion, along with whatever views one may have about Opus Dei – will present problems for people. I know perfectly well we’re looking at a film and book that – however well or badly ones thinks it does it – has a central concept that does strike a bit near the bone, for many.

All I can suggest is making ones own mind up, according to ones own beliefs and experiences.

And at least enjoy the film as the hokum that it is.




* Please note, I should stress that I’m not trying, here, to either talk down or talk up any one religious group or belief, here. I’ve always felt that whatever works for you, is fine by me, however strange I may find it. And hope you think the same, for whatever works for me.

^ Paul, bless him, had some old friends over

No comments: