Sunday 4 January 2009

The New Boy

Just in case you hadn’t read my profile, I’ll tell you now, that I’m something of a Doctor Who fan.

So as you can imagine, being at work, when tonight’s big announcement on the Doctor Who Confidential episode about the casting of the eleventh Doctor was bloody frustrating, to say the least.

Thank god for the BBC iPlayer, at times like this!

I watched the interview with him, mostly to see who’d been cast, and was surprised to find the job had gone to the relatively unknown Matt Smith, who’d cropped up in “The History Boys”, and “The Ruby In The Smoke”.

I’ll happily admit to seeing to walking away gobsmacked.

I saw what Matt looked like  and thought “Yeah, he could work …”

And then, while he was talking about a minor point about the show, made a kind of flickering, tumbling gesture, with both hands …

And thought “… that’s it, he’s perfect!”

Now I know an old friend of mine who disagrees with me, about this, but my gut instinct is telling me he’ll work out fine.   Steve would like to see an episode, or two, before he makes his mind up, which is fine by me.   Complete with Freudian analysis, sleeve notes, and an in-depth literary critique, bless him.

But sometimes, I think ones gut instinct can be a pretty good guide to things, occasionally; — I just wish I’d followed mine a few more times, there’d be one or two women I’d’ve NOT dated, had I listened to what my intestines were trying to tell me.

But, in this case, I think my digestion has a point …

But I’ve linked in the extended interview on the BBC’s official Dr Who site to this posts title.

Just in case you’ve not seen it.

Let me know what you think, folks …

No comments: