Wednesday 14 January 2009

A Sad Bit Of News

In Memorium
Patrick McGoohan.
March 19, 1928 – January 13, 2009

I’ve got to admit, I’m mildly shocked, and definitely saddened to hear that Patrick McGoohan, star of “The Prisoner”, has died, after a short illness, aged 80.

I’m saddened, because, although it was never one of my huge favourites, I’ve always seen the series as seminal, and it’s always been in my DVD collection; – and been one series I’ve recommended people see at least the first episode of.

And most of “The Prisoner”’s influence, quirks, style, what-have-you, comes from its leading man, the now late, Mr McGoohan.

It’s a blow, I feel.  Especially as “The Prisoner” was one of those series that truly encouraged me, and many others, to think about what we’d seen on our TV screens.    Much as I’d like to see the upcoming remake, I don’t know if it’ll have quite that same power.

I’ve linked the BBC report of his death into the title, but you can read the BBC obituary on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7829267.stm, and about The Prisoner, itself, on http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/prisoner/.

No comments: