Sunday 25 January 2009

A very Tartan Table Round

A bit of sad news for any of my readers out there, who are Doctor Who fans. Seems John Scott Martin, one of the original Dalek operators, died this month.   Which is a minor loss, but’ll be noted by many, I think.

But, lets move on, shall we?

I’ve got vague amounts of Scottish ancestry, on my fathers side of the family –pick one, those of you who know me– so the fact tonight is Burns Nights got me thinking that’s what this weeks table round should be about.   Although the fact it’s also Chinese New Year’s Eve did get me thinking.   I might just do a little bit more research, if some free time comes up …

But I did manage to do some digging about a very well known poet.   And there’s a suitable link, in the title, so you know.   Anyway, here’s the questions I’ll using, on Tuesday …

Q1) The Globe was Robert Burns’ favourite pub; – in which Scottish town was it?


Q2) Haggis is usually eaten on Burns Night; – but the earliest references to a type of haggis are found in which poem?


Q3) After a lot of delays, next year see’s the opening of the Robert Burns Museum, in his home town of Alloway, near which port?


Q4) The Clydesdale Bank, one of Scotland three issue banks has released a commemorative Robert Burns note, this year; – is it £5, £10, or £20?


Q5) Outside of the Royal Family, Robert Burns is the only person to feature on three sets of commemorative … what?


Q6) In which year of the 1780’s did Robert Burns die?


Q7) In which of Robert Burns’ poems does the hero met Wizards and Witches, in a Dance?


Q8) The family name, Burns, means what: – stream, river, or brook?


Q9) According to one of Robert Burns’ songs, the devil’s away with … who; – the excise man, the vicar, or the local policeman?


Q10) This year sees which anniversary of the birth of  Robert Burns; – 150th, 250th, or 350th?

No comments: