Thursday 8 January 2009

My Road’s Parking.

Hmmm.   I’ve just been emailing Karen Chilvers, my local councillor — locally elected by local people — about my streets parking.

Which, to be frank, is ridiculous, even to a non driver.

Let me give you a quick bit of backstory, here, as it’s a bit of a first.

I – along with my neighbour, Lynn – moved into our rented flats about 18 months ago, and both of us were told by the housing association we were renting from that there’d be enough parking for everyone.

Which was a bit inaccurate, to say the least.

Due to planning regulations that Orwell would call bureaucratic, assorted crossed lines, and outright balls ups, our street — which is roughly 140-odd socially rented flats and houses — have roughly three quarters of a parking space, each.   Well, 0.79th, anyway.

Not good.

On top of that, we’re near Brentwood railway station, and its rather extortionate carpark. It didn’t take long for its users – like the owner of the car pictured above – to work out there was easily available space to put their motors in, at no cost.

As you can imagine, my neighbours who own cars are fairly hacked off about it, and those who don’t can’t have their friends and family who drive over.

Mostly where drivers are scrabbling for parking.

But, here, here’s the text of the recent batch of emails; —

From: "karen.chilvers@brentwood-ongarlibdems.org.uk"

Date: 8 January 2009 12:28:05 GMT

To:

Subject: Re: Rollason Way’s on, and off street parking

Reply-To: karen.chilvers@brentwood-ongarlibdems.org.uk"


Of course, no problem.  I've also emailed Ade about the issue you raised.  Don't hesitate to call me if there's anything else I can help you with - first and foremost I was elected to help the people of Brentwood West. 

Also, I put regular updates on my website, www.karenchilvers.mycouncillor.org.uk about the local area as it takes a while to get leaflets out!

All the best, Karen

----Original Message----

From: 

Date: 08/01/2009 12:21 

To: "katzatbrackens@tiscali.co.uk"

Subj: Re: Rollason Way’s on, and off street parking


I hope he does; — like I say, I’ve forwarded that to him, and I’ll be forwarding your reply, if that’s ok.

On 8 Jan 2009, at 12:08,  karen.chilvers@brentwood-ongarlibdems.org.uk wrote:

Dear Paul

Thanks for getting in touch following receipt of the letters I delivered to residents, personally, on Sunday. 

I can understand your frustration, as expressed to Cllr Payne, and felt similarly frustrated when the same response was given to me at Planning Committee in May 2007.  As your ward councillor, this was one of the very first things I had the chance to vote on and it has remained an important issue to me.  Now that the predicted parking issues have come to the fore, I feel it is important that you have the facts and understand why the Liberal Democrats voted against the latter phases.  One of the things that I specifically highlighted was the lack of parking for the social housing areas in the final phase. 

I am concerned that you were told there was plenty of parking as clearly, this is not the case and the reason that I am highlighting the facts to residents.  I know that when moving you are not given every detail unless you specifically ask something so I will be taking this issue up with Circle Anglia (was this verbal or do you have it in writing?).

With regards to the Residents Parking scheme, I am referring to the Brentwood-wide scheme, divided into zones, which you will not be allowed to participate in.

The fact is that this development does, I am told, meet the government's guidelines on parking and it is also a fact that the local Conservatives voted the development to the high number of properties that you see today, with the lack of parking that goes with it.  The facts are outlined in my letter. 

This isn't political point scoring, this is about being honest with my residents, representing you properly and speaking up for you...which I can categorically say I have on this issue, alas to no avail.  Unfortunately, due to the political imbalance on Brentwood Council (28 Con, 6 LD, 2Lab, 1 Ind) our two planning committee members could not win a vote against their twelve.  

Finally, I have also been talking to a resident called David regarding this issue - I assume it is the same one (Botham House?) and we have been in regular contact since last month.  I'm sure he will update you on our conversations too.

Kind regards.

Karen 

----Original Message----
From: 
Date: 08/01/2009 11:37 
Cc: "Piers - ECS Meyler"<Piers.Meyler@essexchronicle.co.uk>, "Ade Gbadamosi"<Ade.Gbadamosi@circleanglia.org>
Subj: Rollason Way’s on, and off street parking

Ms Chilvers, 


I just thought I’d response to you party’s newsletter, that came through my door, this morning.


Allow me to quote, here, briefly …


“As residents, you would have been informed that there is limited or no parking available before you went ahead with your rental or purchase, but this may have been in the small print.


I’ll be honest, and admit I didn’t read any of the print about it, being more concerned with how to pay my rent, who the housing officer was, and who to pay the utilities bills to.   Things like that.


But I, and Ms Vanhinsberg, my neighbour in Number 3 Damon House*, were both told by Eunice, the Circle Anglia agent who showed us around our respective flats, that there was “…plenty of parking for everyone.”


I’m a non driver, I should point out, but I was reassured that any of my friends or family who choose to visit would be able to park somewhere.


I think we can definitely say that idea was inaccurate, wasn’t it?


As for the various government policies covering the mess that is Rollason Way’s on and off street parking, and Residents Parking Scheme … 


WHAT Residents Parking Scheme?


And I’ve already personally had hints this is turning into something of a political football.


I used to work in a local pub, The Hutton, which was the one favoured at the time by former deputy mayor, Dudley Payne.   I cornered him, to have a quick informal chat about the parking, about 18 months ago.


His response was to blame central government’s planning restrictions.


As you can no doubt imagine, Ms Chilvers, that didn’t exactly encourage anything other than a deeply cynical reply …


Along the lines of “Ye Motherin’ Gods”, but I’m digressing.


Either way, I think I, and most of my neighbours would love to hear what you, and Ade Gbadamosi, our rep from Circle Anglia, are planning about this.


But I, for one, don’t see it being anything other than a political point scoring exercise.




Yours,


Paul Downie



PS I should add, I’ve forwarded this email to Lynn and David, who are the two residents spearheading the local campaign to try and do something about the parking here, and to Brentwood Gazette journalist, Piers Meyler, as he’s expressed an interest.   I should add, though, that the last time I spoke to him, he was waiting to hear from Circle Anglia, about their planned consultation, something which I, and everyone else is still waiting to hear about.   From Ade Gbadamosi, our housing officer, who I’ve also forwarded this email to.


Feel Free to comment, neighbours!   And that includes Dudley, Karen, and Dave, if your reading.



1 comment:

Nik Nak said...

You know, I found what I think is a relevant link, online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/kennyeverett/videoclips/video1.shtml

How helpful it’ll be is open to debate, but …