Saturday, 14 July 2012

The Bastille Day Teaser — 14-07-2012

Hmmm … 

Well, THAT’S something.

I’ve got to admit, I was at my doctor’s yesterday.

Seemingly … ?

Seemingly, I’ve something of a dicky liver.

Which frankly, could well have been worse: too many years of drinking — and bad eating — got it into the state it’s in.

Frankly, though … ?

It looks like it mean’s I’m going to have to go for lots of healthy eating.

Drat.

There goes the chips … !

Possible a good thing, that, but I think I’m going to miss them … 

Let’s move on, shall we?    BEFORE I get a knock on the door … 


››•‹‹

Yesterday’s Friday 13th Teaser was nicely attended: it saw both Old Peculiar regulars, Mr Strict and Trevor V putting in their answers, with Trevor bagging nine out of 10, and Mr S bagging the complete 10!

Let’s how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 14th July is, obviously, Bastille Day: traditionally, the French President hosts a garden party, where … ?
Q2) More to the point, who’s the current president of France … ?
Q3) EQUALLY to the point, what’s the French President’s title … in French … ?
Q4) True or False: the President of France is a monarch.
Q5) As a final Bastille Day question: name any of the three colours worn in their hats, by French revolutionaries … 
Q6) Moving on … 14th July, 1223, saw Louis 8th become king of France, on his fathers death.   What was his father’s name: Phillip 1st, Phillip 2nd or Phillip 3rd … ?
Q7) 14th July, 1958, saw a coup in which Middle-Eastern country … ?
Q8) 14th July, 1993, saw the release of an operating system called 386BSD: what does the B stand for in BSD … ?
Q9) 14th July, 1965, saw the Mariner 4 probe flypast which planet … ?
Q10) And finally … 14th July, 2002, saw the death of Joaquín Balaguer: the 41st, 45th and 49th president of which Caribbean nation … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Exactly how many films are there, in the Friday the 13th franchise … ?
A1) Ironically … Twelve … 
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the killer, in the original Friday 13th … ?
A2) Mrs Pamela Voorhees.
Q3) Instead of Friday 13th, many Spanish speaking countries consider which day to be unlucky … ?
A3) Tuesday 13th.   (Which would’ve made dubbing the films interesting … )
Q4) When’s the next Friday the 13th … ?
A4) Friday 13th September, 2013.
Q5) As a FINAL Friday 13th question … Which hard rock group famously released their first album on Friday 13th … ?
A5) Black Sabbath.   (All together, now: “SHARON!”)
Q6) 13th July, 1977, saw which US city suffer a 24-hour power-cut … ?
A6) New York.
Q7) 13th July, 1814, saw Italy found what: its parliament, its gendarmerie or its army … ?
A7) Its gendarmerie: the Italian name for them is  Carabineiri.
Q8) 13th July, 1971, saw the execution of ten army officers: after an attempted coup in which North African country … ?
A8) Morocco.
Q9) 13th July, 2011, saw which Indian city attacked by terrorists … ?
A9) Mumbai.   (Or Bombay as it was formerly known.   There’s possibly a very bad taste joke, there … )
Q10) And finally … 13th July, 1985, saw Prince Charles and Princess Diana open which concert … ?
A10) Live Aid.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with a tune from the Throwing Muses, shall I?   As it’s co-founder, Tanya Donnelly’s, birthday … 


And a quote from Jerry Rubin …

“By the end, everybody had a label - pig, liberal, radical, revolutionary... If you had everything but a gun, you were a radical but not a revolutionary.”    Jerry Rubin. (July 14, 1938 – November 28, 1994.)

1 comment:

  1. A1 Palais de l'Élysée (Élysée Palace)
    A2 François Gérard Georges Nicolas Hollande
    A3 Président de la République française
    A4 True he is co-prince of Andora
    A5 Red White and Blue
    A6 Phillip 2nd
    A7 Iraq
    A8 Berkeley
    A9 Mars
    A10 Dominican Republic

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.