Friday 1 September 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1-9-2017: The Game

Hmmm … 

I’m … 

Mildly annoyed: after having seen a provisional copy of next week’s rota.

Which, frankly?

Only have me on a three day week.

It also wasn’t up, on Monday: as has generally been the case.

Which is why I’d asked.

I think that’s the thing that gets me as much as anything else.

Granted, I know the manager who writes them has been on holiday.

But that hasn’t stopped previous employers making damn sure the rota was both written, AND available for deputy managers, to post.

Frankly?   And honestly?

I’m mildly twatted off.

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The match that saw Boris Spassky beaten by Bobby Fischer, took place on 1st September: of which year?
Q2) They were playing what a what: video game, board game or card game?
Q3) Spassky was from the Soviet Union: also called the USS … what?
Q4) Fischer was from the US … where?
Q5) Both Fischer and Spassky were world class players of the game.   And known as  Grand … what?
Q6) The match was known as the Match of the what: month, year or century?
Q7) The match was also seen as part of which war: the Korean War, the Cold War or the Vietnam War?
Q8) The match was played in Reykjavik.   Reykjavik is in which country?
Q9) What’s the name of the 2014 film about the match?
Q10) Finally?   What game were Spassky and Fischer playing?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 31st August, saw the death of Princess Diana: Princess of where?
A1) Wales.
Q2) Her death was on 31st August.   Of which year: 1996, 1997 or 1998?
A2) 1997.
Q3) Famously, she was in a car that crashed: in which European city?
A3) Paris.
Q4) That city is in which country?
A4) France.
Q5) News of her death was broken to her two sons: by Diana’s ex husband, and father of her children.   Who is her ex husband?
A5) The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles.
Q6) Name either of their sons.
A6) Prince William, Duke of Cambridge or Prince Henry of Wales: popularly cally Prince Harry.
Q7) At the time of her death, Diana was dating Dodi al Fayed, son of Mohammed al Fayed.   Mohammed al Fayed ran which Knightsbridge shop?
A7) Harrods.
Q8) The many conspiracy theories about Diana’s death, ignore the fact her driver was extremely drunk at the time of her death.   What was the name of the driver?
Q9) Diana’s funeral was held at which Abbey?
Q10) Finally … Diana is buried at the family estate, Althorp.   Althorp is in which English county?
Here’s a pair of thoughts …
“I am the best player in the world, and I am here to prove it.”
Bobby Fischer, March 9, 1943 – January 17, 2008.
“I still hope to kill Fischer.”
Boris Spassky, born January 30, 1937.
And a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        The estate’s supposed to be gorgeous to look at, Olga‡, I know that!   And there’s always that one customer, isn’t there?   Can I refer you to Law Six, at this point?   I’m assuming Pocket’s a browser extension, Olga, is that correct?   Getting it to send reminder emails sounds good!

†        I think Rob worked for Sir Terry for years, Debbi‡: between them, him and Rhianna have been managing the estate.   Mind you … I still would’ve used a 14lb lump hammer.   (Apparently, they needed to put it through a rock breaker, afterwards!)

‡        Did I mention I saw Prince of Darkness, last night?   Hmmm … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1972
Q2) A board game
Q3) R (Russia)
Q4) A (America)
Q5) Master
Q6) Century
Q7) The Cold War
Q8) Iceland
Q9) Pawn Sacrifice (I watched it recently. I had watched a documentary about Fischer years back. Well… I won’t give a diagnosis but…)
Q10) Chess
Yes, Pocket is a browser extension. You can tag the bookmarks under whatever labels you want to, and it does send you newsletters with articles similar to those you've checked or bookmarked before (usually quite interesting. I think I found it through a blog recommending resources for writers).

Debbi said...

Hmm ... that sounds dicey! :)

1. 1972
2. a board game
3. USSR
4. Chicago, Illinois
5. master
6. Century
7. the Cold War
8. Iceland
9. Pawn Sacrifice
10. chess