Saturday 30 September 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th September, 2017

*Yawn*

I think you can tell I’m tired, can’t you … ?

The yawn at the start of the post is a bit of a clue.

But … ?

Well, frankly, I got home last night: wanting to unwind with a little TV.

Frankly?

I’m hoping to try and catch some episodes of Star Trek: Discovery, the spin off in the franchise.

And everything I’ve read?   Tells me Discovery’s makers have seen the classic Star Trek episode, Balance of Terror as a major influence on their entry in the franchise.

So I watched Balance of Terror, last night.

It’s a fantastic little episode, with the sort of downbeat ending you don’t see in the many others.

It does something else, as well.

I think that, ever since Star Wars, we’re used to the idea of space battles as great big aerial dog fights.


Balace of Terror doesn’t.

Oh, no … !

It’s a tense, nail-biting, cat-and-mouse naval battle: with the Enterprise as a battleship, and it’s opposing Romulan ship as a submarine, diving and surfacing by using its cloaking device.

And all the more watchable for that.


~≈Â≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Angel† and Debbi‡ putting int heir answers: with Olga and Debbi on five points, and Angel on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 30th September is International Translator’s Day.   The date chosen marks the feast day of the patron saint of translators.   Which saint is that?
Q2) 30th September, 1938, saw Britain’s Prime Minister declared there was ‘peace in our time.’   After signing a non-aggression pact with which country?
Q3) Which Prime minister made that Declaration?
Q4) The first American Football game broadcast on TV, was broadcast on 30th September, 1939: between the Fordham Rams and the Waynesburg Yellow Jackets.   Which side won?
Q5) Finally?   Aldwych tube station shut: on 30th September, 1994.   How many years had it operated for: 88, 89 or 90 years?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) Terrorist group, Boko Haram, killed 42 people: in an attack on a college on 29th September, 2013.   The group operates in which country: Nigeria, Rwanda or Eritrea?
A1) Nigeria.
Q2) 29th September, 1997, saw scientist link vCJD — New Variant CJD — and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, or BSE.   BSE is also called what?
Q3) 29th September, 1991, saw a coup take place.   Where: Dominica, Haiti or Jamaica?
A3) Haiti.
Q4) The first electric trams went into operation, on 29th September, 1885.   In which English seaside resort?
A4) Blackpool.
Q5) Finally … The British Mandate for Palestine went into operation: on 29th September, 1923.   It established British control of Palestine: most of which is now Israel.   Which empire controlled Palestine, up until then?
A5) The Ottoman Empire.
Here’s a thought …
Other Voices, Other Rooms was an attempt to exorcise demons, an unconscious, altogether intuitive attempt, for I was not aware, except for a few incidents and descriptions, of its being in any serious degree autobiographical. Rereading it now, I find such self-deception unpardonable.”
Truman Capote, September 30, 1924 – August 25, 1984.
And, as it’s Donald Swann’s birthday?   A song about a gnu … a gnother gnu …the gnicest work of gnature in the zoo … 


Today’s questions will be answer in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!



*        Oh, I hate it, when footwear starts leaking!   Which reminds me, Olga, I need to get a new pair: I think my work shoes are slowing becoming religious.   They’re getting holey!   Sorry, sorry … !   At any rate … I knew there’s differences between the two different versions: positive and negatively phrased: but hadn’t come across the phrase, ‘silver rule,’ before now.

†        Oh, I’m keeping them crossed, Angel: fingers, toes, eyes, legs … At ANY rate?   We have a song about a Gnu song, today.   The wildebeest, rather than the software!

‡        I was … ?   Blimey, I’m having a serious brain fade, there, Debbi!   At ANY rate, once I’ve a little more cash, I’ll be able to do something with it.   I’ll possibly avoid a skinhead look, though, I’ll possibly end up looking like a Sontaran!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) St Jerome
Q2) Germany
Q3) Neville Chamberlain
Q4) Fordham
Q5) 88
Let's hope it's good news. Still hunting for walking shoes but I'm looking for something waterproof and reasonably priced so it might take a while.

Debbi said...

We wouldn't want that! :)

1. Jerome
2. Germany (for all the good it did!)
3. Neville Chamberlain
4. the Fordham Rams
5. 88

"Balance of Terror" is one of Rick's favorite Star Trek episodes. It is a great one! :)