Sunday 17 September 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-9-2017: Lord of the Flies.

Hmmmm … 

Looks like it’s the last bit of (paid) annual leave, today.

Frankly?

I’m visiting family today.

After all, I’ve not seen my nephew for a while.

Although I don’t know how much chatting we’ll do.

Yep.

Uncle Paul’s been conscripted into building a rabbit hutch … !

~≈Ê≈~

In all this … ?

In all this, I have to admit I’ve caught three more episodes of series three — Coven — of American Horror Story.

In the midst of all this?

The thing’s looking good.

And features some incredible strong female characters.

Series regulars, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson, doing well as mother and daughter, Fiona and Cordelia: and are joined by Kathy Bates as a 19th century society hostess, and Angela Bassett as a voodoo priestess.

I have to say: Bassett is one of the most sympathetic — and plausible — villains I’ve seen on TV fr a while.

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Lord of the Flies was first released: on 17th September.   Of which year of the 1950s?
Q2) Who was the author?
Q3) It’s about a group of schoolboys.   Stranded after a what: plane crash, ship wreck or train wreck?
Q4) Their plane crashes on an island, where: the Atlantic, Pacific or Indian Ocean?
Q5) Finally?   The most recent film version of Lord of the Flies was in which year of the 1990s?
Here’s  yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Paolo Di Lauro was arrested on 16th September, 2005.   He was a senior member of the Camorra: the version of the Mafia from which Italian city?
A1) Naples.
Q2) 16th September, 1977, saw the death of singer, Marc Bolan: in a car crash.   What was the name of the glam rock band he’d fronted?
A2) T-Rex.   (No points for Tyrannosaurus Rex: that Was the earlier, folky, incarnation of The band.)
Q3) 16th September, 1927, saw the birth of actor, Peter Falk.   Which TV detective did he play?
A3) Columbo.
Q4) Two years earlier, 16th September, 1925, saw the birth of BB King.   The legendary bluesman died in which year?
A4) 2015.
Q5) Finally … the Pilgrim Fathers set off for what’s now the USA: on 16th September, 1620.   Which M was their best known ship?
A5) The Mayflower.
Here’s a thought from the author …
“I don’t like the word ‘allegorical’, I don’t like the word ‘symbolic’, the word I really like is ‘mythic’ and people always think that means ‘full of lies’ when what it really means is full of a truth that cannot be told in any other way but a story.”
The Author.
And a song inspired by Chapter 7 … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Prime Minister, surely, Olga?   Not that many monarchies have a President‡ª!   At any rate, Catalonia’s sounding a little bit on edge, at the mo!   I seem to recall the Catalan government had a few talks with the Scottish government, as well: about the time of the Referendum.   And I can’t help but think Bladerunner: 2049 will be interesting: we’ll see.   (I wonder if I know any mystery writers looking for translators … … )


†        On Marc Bolan, Debbi?   Who’d’ve thought^ª … !   (More of a one for Suzi Quatro, back then: I had the 7” of Devil Gate Drive: I can still smell the PVC it was made from.   The label, Rak?   Had a ship on the record label, that always sticks in my mind.)   (THINK I know someone who speaks Spanish.)


‡        Not having him as PM/President?   COULD be a big selling point for the pro independence side!

^        As I recall?   There’s a couple of Columbo episodes with McGoohan in them.   (One of them featured Simon Jones, the original Arthur Dent.)

ª        Olga, Debbi, would you mind if I set up a footnote farm … ?

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1954
Q2) William Golding
Q3) Plane crash
Q4) The Pacific
Q5) 1990 (There is a version under development now and it seems there was an episode for a TV series about Great Books in 1998).
Well, strange or not, in Spanish we call him the president of the government, not the prime minister (while in Spanish we call the English one 'primer ministro', not 'presidente', so whatever you want to call him, in Spain his title is 'presidente'. It is a constitutional or parliamentary monarchy, although not because anybody was asked about it, but anyway...). Yes, he has no common sense and seems to think that telling people he won't be their 'presidente' would disuade them from voting 'Yes', while the opposite is the truth. If it was somebody else I'd think he was trying to make a joke, but he has no sense of humour, so it is very doubtful.
I caught one of the episodes of American Horror Story here, at my friends, but I think it's a different series (cult?). It looked interesting, that's for sure.
Take care.

Debbi said...

Actually, indie authors like me are totally in the market for translators. Depending on cost, of course, she said, fretfully! :)

1. 1954
2. William Golding
3. plane crash
4. Pacific
5. 1990

I totally remember Suzi Quatro! She was one of those first bad-ass female rockers. Like Joan Jett! :)