Wednesday 13 September 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13-9-2017: Priestley Writ

Oh, now, that’s a pain … !

Or was a pain.

Or, at least could’ve been more of a pain … or less … 

You’re wondering what I’m on about, aren’t you?

Frankly?

My router went down, last night: flashing up the by-now-familiar sequence of purple, orange and green flashing lights.

With a certain amount of resigned annoyance?   That was something the got me phoning my Internet Service Provider, BT, to see what was going on.

The router … ?

Is now up and running, again, after a reset.

But, apparently?

There’s some sort of issue with the cabinet that distributes the signal to local homes: which, at least, they’ve told me will get seen to, by tomorrow.

Wouldn’t you know it.

~≈‰≈~

In OTHER news … ?

I note that Apple have released their new iPhone X: with the X, much like the X in OS X, standing for 10.

Frankly?   It looks rather good, I have to say.

And, yes, before you ask … 

I want one!

Although, to be honest?

The new Apple TV’s much more affordable: AND plays that suspicious pile of 4k videos I have.

If anyone wants to buy me something for Christmas … 

~≈‰≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 13th September saw the birth of novelist and playwright, J. B. Priestley.   In which year?
Q2) The J stood for John.   What did the B stand for?
Q3) His first successful novel was published in 1929.   What was it called: The Good Book, The Good Companions or The Good Wife?
Q4) Sir Charles Ravenstreet features in which 1954 Priestley novel?
Q5) Finally … Priestley’s best known play was first performed in the Soviet Union, in 1945.   What was it?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 12th September is Defenders Day: a public holiday in which US state?
A1) Baltimore.
Q2) England won what, on 12th September, 2005: the World Cup, the Ashes or the Bandy World Championships?
A2) The Ashes.
Q3) Which Country singer died: on 12th September, 2003?
Q4) 12th September is Saragarhi Day.   It’s commemorated by military units of which faith: Judaism, Islam or Sikhism?
A4) Sikhism.
Q5) Finally … 12th September, 1938, saw Hitler demand autonomy for Germans living in the Sudetenland.   The Sudetenland was where: Albania, Bulgaria or Czechoslovakia?
I give you a thought …
“Living in age of advertisement, we are perpetually disillusioned. The perfect life is spread before us every day, but it changes and withers at a touch.”
“The Disillusioned”, in The Balconinny, and Other Essays, by J. B. Priestley.
And Act i of The Olympians: composed by Arthur Bliss, with a libretto by Priestley … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        That reminds, Olga, I had some new trousers delivered!   I don’t think I’ve even taken them out of the package, yet!   On the “You Couldn’t Make it Up” front?   Granted, some of the James Bond movies have had some odd bits of kit: ejector seats, stunt watches, what have you.   But they can’t have been as strange as the exploding rat … 

†        Yeah, I was wondering if you’d heard of that holiday, Debbi: it DID sound a bit obscure!   As for media fusses?   I was kind of the same with Mork and Mindy.   Oh, and Marvel’s movies … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) In which year? 1894
Q2) Boynton (I would also prefer B, to be honest)
Q3) The Good Companions
Q4) The Magicians
Q5) An Inspector Calls (a great play. I’ve watched this one and ‘Time and the Conways’, the latter one in Barcelona, in Catalan.

I hope your internet problems get resolved. Regarding new phones, until they invent one that actually makes money rather than spending it, I couldn't care less.
Take care.

Debbi said...

Indeed! :) Well, that's the media for you.

1. 1894
2. Boynton
3. The Good Companion
4. The Magicians
5. An Inspector Calls

BTW, the first answer should be "Maryland", not "Baltimore", which as I'm sure you know is a city.