Sunday 20 January 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20th January, 2019.

20th January, 2019.


Right … it’s a definite: I saw the Claude Rains/Jame Whale version of The Invisible Man, last night.

It’s quite something to watch: especially when Griffin, the Invisible Man himself?

Unwraps the bandages.

The phrase ‘skull-like’ springs to mind.


And, from what I can tell?

The bit’s of the film where Rains, as the central character, unwraps the bandages from his head are done with a very early version of Colour separation overlay.

The same thing that powers the animation you’ll see at the start of today’s intro video.

One day … ?

I’ll get the hang of it!

~≈§≈~

There’s one sad bit of news I caught, last night.

No, nothing to do with Brexit, OR Prince Phillip.

Actually?   It was a car bomb … outside a courthouse in what’s variously called Derry, or Londonderry.

No one was killed or injured, but neither has any group claimed responsibility.

But, having grown up in England during the Troubles?

I’d hate to see those Troubles restarted.

Especially if those who’ve done this, have done this in response to the Brexit negotiations, with all the talk of a Backstop*.

Here’s hoping.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf†, Olga‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) Edward Balliol surrendered his claim to the throne: on 20th January, 1356.   The throne of where?
Q2) Every four years, 20th January sees the inauguration of who US government official?
Q3) 20th January, 1961, saw who sworn into that office?
Q4) 20th January is the (Roman Catholic) feast of Saint Sebastian.   The arrow filled saint is patron of the city of Negombo.   Negombo is in which island nation?
Q5) Finally … ?   20th January, 1095, saw the death of Wulfstan.   He was bishop or where: Southwark, Worcester or Truro?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The IBM PC’s first what was released on 19th January, 1986?
A1) Virus.
Q2) 19th January, 2012, saw Megaupload closed down by the FBI.   Megaupload allowed users to illegally share content … and was based where: Macao, Hong Kong or Singapore?
A2) Hong Kong.
Q3) The Lisa was released on 19th January, 1983.   By which company?
A3) Apple.
Q4) Which US state left the Union: on 19th January, 1861?
A4) Georgia.
Q5) Finally … ?   19th January, 1807, saw the birth of which Confederate general?
Here’s a thought …
“I liked Westerns for two reasons: First, it took the actor outside. They were all very physical at that time and not limited to a stage. Second, they paid my rent an awful lot.”
DeForest Kelley, January 20, 1920 – June 11, 1999.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I make know apologise from using the link to the Newsround explanation of what the Backstop is.   Sometimes, the children’s news show does a better job than the adult news.

†        Glad to be of help, @Badwolfª!   Here’s hoping March goes well!   (Oh, did I mention Handbrake, at any point …?   You can get rid of your DVDs, and still watch the films, with Handbrake.)

‡        I’ll have to keep my eyes open, Olgaª.   Usually I hit the hot chocolate of an evening: it’s a bit less caffeinated than tea!

^        Very true, Debbiª, very true!   (Oh, did I mention I’ve seen the first episode of the new series of Star Trek Discovery?   I know you’re probably not watching it, but, BOY, it’s good!   Anson Mount as Captain Pike, put in an impressive performance.)

ª        I’m just hoping the laughter at the start of today’s Teaser video isn’t to … you know … unnerving … !

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Scotland
Q2) The President of the US
Q3) John F. Kennedy
Q4) Sri Lanka
Q5) Worcester
I missed the news about Derry. Let's hope, indeed. It's been many years since I've watched that version of Invisible Man but it was quite eerie at times. I don't think I've ever seen Spanish hot chocolate in the UK (I would bring some for my friends every time I travelled). We were in the town centre yesterday (I got cheap tickets for a theatre play that was running previews on the weekend... Very Shakespearean and very funny), and we found people queuing by the traditional hot chocolate places... (they had not open for the afternoon yet). Churros being the usual accompaniment or ladyfingers...)
https://latendresa.com/
(La tendresa: Tenderness in English) It's in Catalan

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

(1) Scotland (2) President (3) Dwight D. Eisenhower (4) Sri Lanka, (5)Worcester

Debbi said...

Wish I could see it. Maybe someday.

1. Scotland
2. the President of the United States
3. John F. Kennedy
4. Sri Lanka
5. Worcester