Wednesday 23 January 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-1-2019: Django Unchained.

23rd January, 2019.


Yes: we officially have no snow, today.

At least here in Brentwood.

Frankly?

Given the projected temperature, today?


I’m actually grateful.

I get paid, today, so I’m off shopping.

Frankly?

I’m glad it’s not snowing …

~≈§≈~

Either way … ?

Either way, I have to confess to feeling a little tired.

It’s my own damn fault: managing to stay up late, watching the wrong movie.

I got The Living Daylights mixed up with License to Kill.

It’s still a fun little action-adventure film, with a Bond who looks entirely the part.

Well … it does show its age, in some respects.

What grabbed my attention was the scene where Bond … slaps Moneypenny’s rear.

You couldn’t do THAT, today … !


~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 23rd January saw the birth of Django Reinhardt.   In which year?
Q2) In which European country?
Q3) What was his stage name?
Q4) Django was a Manouche: a French-speaking what?
Q5) Famously, he had two injured fingers on his fretting hand.   After a what: mugging, fire or fall?
Q6) From many years, Django worked with whom: Nigel Kennedy,  Stéphane Grappelli or Yehudi Menuhin?
Q7) He preferred guitars made by which company?
Q8) Of those guitars, he preferred ones designed by whom?
Q9) Django’s best known band was the … what?
Q10) Finally … ?   Minor Swing, one of Django Reinhardt’s better known pieces, was originally recorded in Paris, in November of which year?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 22nd January, 2018, saw the death of Ursula K. LeGuin.   What did the K stand for … ?
A1) Kroeber.   Like some, she used her maiden name as a middle initial.
Q2) She wrote five novels and a short story collection: set in which fantasy world?
A2) Earthsea.   (I’ve read the lot: the second novel, The Tombs of Atuan is unbelievably claustrophobic.)
Q3) Her 1971 novel, The Lathe of Heaven, has a central character who can alter reality with his what … ?
A3) Dreams.
Q4) Her Hainish novels were science fictions stories.   About which species: horses, humanity or the T’kong?
A4) Humanity.
Q5) Finally … LeGuin was influenced by which Chinese belief system?
A5) Taoism: also called Daoism.
Here’s a thought …
“Jazz attracted me because in it I found a formal perfection and instrumental precision that I admire in classical music, but which popular music doesn’t have”.
Django Reinhardt.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Morning, @Badwolf!   You’re right, Jacobi was and is, quite the star.   I never did get the Big Finish audio plays, but I know Jacobi’s done one as the Master …


†        I think the day in, helped, yesterday, Olga.   I had an old friend look in, with a home made loaf of bread.   Old fashioned doorstep toast, with Marmite?   Certainly helps.

‡        A pleasure, as ever, Debbi!   (I know, I know, it’s ten questions.   But the rest of the week are all five!)

5 comments:

trev-v said...

Certainly there is snow in Brentwood, Here it snowed over night and there is still some on my back lawn. The grass verges and hedge tops on Hanging Hill Lane were also covered in snow as were parked cars. Luckily for me the sidewalks between my house and the paper shop were snow free.

Nik Nak said...

Yeah, I’ve just had a look out of my back window.

The fence surround my by-now-famous gas metre has snow … but nowhere else …

Olga said...

Q1) 1910
Q2) Belgium
Q3) ? Django Reinhardt (His name was Jean. Did you write the wrong question?)
Q4) Romani (gypsy)
Q5) fire
Q6) Stéphane Grappelli
Q7) Selmer
Q8) Mario Maccaferri
Q9) Quintette (Quintet)
Q10) 1937
I'm pleased to hear you're feeling better and I hope the weather doesn't get worse. Take care.

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

(1) 1910 (2)Belgium (3)Django Reinhardt (4) Quintette du Hot Club de France (5)Fire (6) Stéphane Grappelli (7)Selmer(8)Maccaferri (9)? (10)1937

Debbi said...

Well, thank heavens. :)

1. 1910
2. Belgium
3. Django Reinhardt
4. Romani (or gypsy?)
5. fire
6. Stéphane Grappelli
7. Selmer
8. John D'Angelico
9. the Quintette
10. 1937