Saturday 3 August 2019

Annabelle: A Review

3rd August, 2019.


Yes: it’s actually a quiet Saturday night.

Believe it or not.

A quite Saturday night with nothing much to do.

Or that I can do.

You know, laundry, house work, what have you.

What’s bothering me … ?

Is simply the job situation.

I still won’t know, until Monday, whether I’ve got the one I’m supposed to be starting on Thursday.

Well … 



Bar worrying about it, there’s not much I can do there.

~≈§≈~

Except keep my mind occupied.

Obviously.

Recently?

I’ve been playing a few of the freebie games available on the AppleTV.

Including an implementation of Tetris that’s rather fun.

The other thing … ?

Now that I’ve got the bulk of the TV shows done with … ?

Is catch a movie or two.

Last night’s?


Tonight … ?

I fancied something shorter … a bit bloodier …

I fancied Annabelle.

If that doesn’t sound ambiguous … 



~≈§≈~

Annabelle is set in 1967: and sees Dr John Form (Ward Horton) presenting his heavily pregnant wife, Mia (Annabelle Wallace.) with A gift.

Not long afterwards?

Their neighbours are attacked and killed in a home invasion: one that almost sees the Form family, killed, themselves.

Almost … as local police officers managed to stop the attackers in their stride.

Fatally stop the attackers.

In the days following the attack,  Mia is plagued by supernatural events: events that seem to be linked to the doll … 

And that get so intense, the family are forced to move to Pasadena … weeks earlier than they were due to.

Only to find they have a problem …

The doll?



The one christened Annabelle?

Has followed them to Pasadena … 

Things are going to get nasty …



~≈§≈~

Now … 

I’ve got to admit, the last entry in The Conjuring franchise I saw?

Was The Nun.

It was something I found watchable … but lacking, compared to the first two entries in the series.

I’m thinking the same applies to Annabelle.



The cast are competent.

The direction and writing, well done.

Editing?   Yes, nice …

The composition of the piece?   Lighting?



Yep, great … 

But I’m walking away from Annabelle feeling it has much in common with The Nun.

They’re both nicely done, and my ideal length … 



But Annabelle, much as The Nun?

Could have done with a touch more action … 

Annabelle.
★★☆☆

No comments: