Sunday 25 August 2019

The Midnight Meat Train: A(nother) Review

24th August, 2019.


Yes … 

At last … !

I’ve managed to go into town, today: to head for my GP’s, to pick up a prescription that I could then collect from the in-store pharmacy at Sainsbury’s.

Except, of course, and given that this is me we’re talking about … ?

I handed in the prescriptions, did my shopping, paid for may shopping, got a cab home … and only realised I’d forgotten my medications, about four hours later … 

And tramped back to the High Street to pick up them … and a bag of spuds.

The things we do for health, hey?

~≈§≈~

At any rate … ?



I fancied a movie tonight: as I’m working a late shift tomorrow.



Frankly, I fancied one I’d already seen, many years ago.

As it had cropped up in comments from Old Peculiar regular, Anne: who’d mentioned she’d liked it.

I felt sitting in with The Midnight Meat Train would be … 

Well, good … 

~≈§≈~

Based on the Clive Barker short story of the same name, The Midnight Meat Train introduces us to Leon (Bradley Cooper): a struggling photographer trying to document the city as well as he can.



However?

After meeting art dealer Susan Hoff (Brooke Shields), Leon has decides to try an explore some of the murkier areas of his home town: only to be the last man to see — and photograph — a noted model.

Much to Leon’s misfortune?

Taking his photos to the police gets him nowhere.

And his growing obsession with a butcher called Mahogany (Vinnie Jones), the man Leon believes killed the model: and many others over the previous three years.

It’s only when Leon manages to track down the killer … 

That his troubles really start.

~≈§≈~

I have to admit, this is the second time I’ve written about The Midnight Meat Train.

The last time?

Was back in 2011.

Making The Midnight Meat Train only the second film I’ve written about, twice.



The other was Event Horizon, since you’re asking.

I can make a rough guess at what you’re thinking.

“Paul, was this viewing of The Midnight Meat Train as good as the first?”

I have to say yes.



It’s grim: the composition and colouring of the thing is superb, but heavy on washed out greys.

It’s gory: although, somehow, not as gory as my first viewing.

And it’s riveting.

Personally?



I agree with myself.

The Midnight Meat Train is worth watching.
The Midnight Meat Train*
★★★☆






*        As an extra thought?   I’ve read Weaveworld, and The Hellbound Heart: the story that forms the basis of Hellraiser, something I’ve also seen.  I’ve also seen Nightbreed, based on Barker’s Cabal.   All centre on various hidden peoples: the Nightbreed, the Seerkind, the Cenobites, what have you.   I’ve ideas a plenty, there.   Possibly ones I’ll keep to myself.   But feel the creatures we see in The Midnight Meat Train, and their supporters?   Are another variation on a theme.

No comments: