Wednesday 21 July 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-7-2021: Belgium … !

21st July, 2021.


Yes!   I’ve an early morning appointment, today: for the Office of National Statistics’ Covid 19 survey.

That’s handy.

I get to take part in something constructive: and helpful for the nation.

And that earns me a £25 Amazon voucher.

Money in the proverbial bank.

~≈£≈~

Talking of money … ?

You’re aware I’m unemployed at the moment: and claiming Universal Credit.

And am grateful for the £20 a week extra I’m getting: as a result of the COVID 19 Crisis.

The last of those £20 payments?   Is due in September.

Frankly?   I’m not looking forward to that: it reduces my income by a very helpful £80 a month.

Something that pays for food, covers my council tax, what have you.

So … ?

News today that senior MPs from Westminster, and from the devolved parliaments, have written an open letter: calling for the top up to be made permanent.

That’s something I welcome.

I think the Government will completely ignore it.

Completely ignore it.

But … ?   I — along side many others in my shoes — are going to be hoping it isn’t.

~≈£≈~

Just as a final thought?

You’ll possibly also know I’ve been listening to Just a Minute for years.

The show — where you have to talk about something for sixty seconds, without hesitation, deviation or repetition — was hosted by the late Nicolas Parsons for many years.

The BBC announced his replacement, yesterday: comedian and broadcaster, Sue Perkins.
I’m pleased: for two reasons.

One?   It’s nice to see someone left-handed do well.

Two?   She’s perfect for the job!

Frankly, I’ll be looking forward to hearing the show.

~≈⏱≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Edith†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ and putting in their answers: with Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        21st July is Belgium’s National Day.   It marks the coronation of which Belgian king: Leopold 1st, Leopold 2nd or Albert 1st?

Q2)        What’s Belgium’s capital city … ?

Q3)        Belgium has three official languages.   Name one of them.

Q4)        Cornet de frites are from Belgium.   It’s a cardboard cone with what in?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Tripel, Dubbel and Lambics are all Belgian what: beers wines or liquors?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        20th July is International Chess Day.   It was first marked to celebrate Chess’s international body. What’s that body called: FIFA, FIDE or the IGF?
A1)        The Fédération Internationale des Échecs, International Chess Federation, World Chess Federation or just Fédération Internationale des Échecs.   FIFA is the Fédération Internationale de Football Association, or International Federation of Association Football: it governs football.   The IGF is the International Go Federation

Q2)        Each player has 16 pieces.   How many queens does each player have at the start of the game: one, two or three?
A2)        One.

Q3)        Castles are also known as which ‘R’?
A3)        Rooks.

Q4)        Which piece is in between the Bishop and the Castle: the king, queen or knight?
A4)        The knight.   “♫ One knight in Bangkok … ! ♬”

Q5)        Finally … ?   Which piece gets promoted, if it gets to the other side of the board … ?
A5)        The pawn.
Here’s a three different versions of Belgium’s motto … 
“Eendracht maakt macht.”
“L’union fait la force.”
“Einigkeit macht stark.”
Trans: “Unity makes strength.”
Belgium’s motto.
And a national anthem …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Yes, I saw you mention it on FB, Trevor.   By the way … did you get a thunderstorm, last night?   We got about five minutes of drizzle.
Now … about prawns … 


†        I hope it went well, Edith!   (My meeting at the job centre was OK: but the next one’s by phone.)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        I don’t know, there, Debbi: Night Watch makes sense, most of the time!   Oh, talking of chess, did you ever see The Seventh Seal?   That is one heck of a film!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Leopold 1st
A2 Brussels (Where the sprouts come from)
A3 Dutch, French, German
A4 Chips or some times Fries.
A5 Beers

The only noise I heard last night was the sledge hammers.

I see from Essex Live that there was flooding in Chelmsford.

I remember being taken to a Belgium restaurant in London. The food menu was either Roast Chicken or Mussels. The beer and schnapps menu was about 3 pages long. There were different glasses for each beer and you could buy a long flat wooden Planck with 8 or 9 different types of schnapps on it. it was called Belgo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgo

Freda said...

1 Leopold 2nd
2 Brussels
3 Flemish
4 Chips
5 Liquors

Edith Reuwer said...

1. Leopold the first
2. Brussels
3. French
4. Fried potato strips
5. Liquors

It was very good. I'm allowed to stay on Twitter. That wasn't the only topic.

I hope that your next meeting goes well.

Debbi said...

I've heard of it, but never seen it.

1. Leopold I
2. Brussels
3. Dutch
4. french fries
5. beers

Death plays chess in it with someone. Right? :)

Debbi said...

Love the photo. I'd recognize that scarf anywhere! :)