Tuesday 6 July 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6th July, 2021.

6th July, 2021.


I have to say … I had a pair of meetings, yesterday.

Well … a meeting … and a training course.

The net result … ?

I’ve applied for more jobs: and have another meeting, today: to review changes made to my CV.

We’ll have to see how that goes, won’t we?

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        In the US, 6th July is National Fried what day: Fried Chicken, Fried Yams or Fried Mars Bar?

Q2)        6th July is — according to some — International Kissing Day.   The day has its origins, where: China, Russia or the UK?

Q3)        Piper Alpha caught fire: on 6th July, 1988.   What was Piper Alpha: an oil tanker, an oil rig or a nuclear submarine?

Q4)        Cosmic Call 2 was broadcast on 6th July, 2003.   The message to extraterrestrials was sent from Yevpatoria. Yevpatoria is in which disputed region: Crimea, East Jerusalem or Cyprus?

Q5)        Finally … ?   London’s trams made their ‘last’ trip: on 6th July, 1952.   London’s new Tramlink service went into operation, in which year: 1999, 2000 or 2001?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        5th July, 1929, saw the birth of Tony Lock.   Between 1946 and 1964, he played Cricket for which county side: Surrey, Sussex or Sunderland … ?
A1)        Surrey.

Q2)        P. T. Barnum was born on 5th July, 1810.   Who played Barnum in 2017’s The Greatest Showman?
A2)        Hugh Jackman.

Q3)        Sir Stamford Raffles died on 5th July, 1826.   He founded — depending on how you define it — which East Asian city: Singapore, Jaipur or Beijing?
A3)        Singapore.

Q4)        The first African-American to win a Wimbledon Men’s Single’s Championship, did so on 5th July, 1975.   Who was he?
A4)        Arthur Ashe.

Q5)        Finally … ?   5th July, 1989 saw the birth of footballer, Charlie Austin.   He currently plays for which Championship side: Preston North End, Queen’s Park Rangers or Reading?
A5)        Queen’s Park Rangers.
Here’s a thought … 
“I am not sick.   I am broken.   But I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint.”
Frida Kahlo, 6th July, 1907 to 13 July 1954.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Hopefully, I have, Olga: it’d be nice to be doing something … !   (Oh, did you ever listen to I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue?   Last night’s episode has a bonkers game of Mornington Crescent!)

†        Hello, Mum.

‡        Those are very wise words, there, Edith!   I have to admit, I loved Copacabana: you don’t get story songs, these days!


^        Glad to hear it got sorted, Debbi!   (Time Machine’s usually a life saver.   Which reminds me, I’ve got to have a look at deleting some of my older backups.   You’d think a ten terabyte drive would have enough space … !)

7 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Fried Chicken

Q2) The UK (I hope it is not widely celebrated this year)!

Q3) An oil rig

Q4) Crimea

Q5) 2000. They opened one in Barcelona as well a few years back (of course there used to be one before, but it closed down before my time, other than a touristic line going to el Tibidabo, one of the hills around Barcelona), although not very widespread. I liked the Manchester one, and there is one in Sheffield as well, quite busy too.
I hope something good comes out of the job applications and today's meeting.
I used to listen to the radio a lot when I first moved to the UK, as a way of getting used to the speech patterns, and I'm sure I did listen to some episodes, although I have no idea how much I'd have understood of it at the time!

Nik Nak said...

That’s a thought, Debbi: this chap’s just floated across my timeline. He’s playing Perry Mason, in the new series.

Turns out he was Columbo’s last villain … !

Olga said...

Oh, I forgot to mention... The mystery about why Saturday's fair was cancelled continues, as my editor and the radio director hadn't received any official statements yet. Rumor had it that there had been some miscommunication and the local traffic police (guardia urbana) hadn't been notified (or nobody had done anything if they had), and nothing had been done to clear the street of vehicles, so they couldn't physically install the fair. I'm going to cover a book launch on Thursday evening. Fingers crossed this one goes ahead! (At least it's inside a bookshop and on a pedestrian street, so traffic and vehicles shouldn't be an issue)!

trev-v said...

Ah Piper Alpha remember it well. The Reinsurance company that i worked for for over 25 years (Originally Alexander Howden taken over by Alexander & Alexander finally taken over by Aon)had excess of loss contracts on Piper Alpha. one of our divisions was the London Market excess of Loss division (LMX for short). This division reinsured many levels over the excess on Piper Alpha.

When Lloyds of London as a publicity stunt tried to show the world how quickly they could pay out on a major loss. Well this sent the market into a panic. I think it took us month to work back up the spirals of claims.

not long afterwards the LMX division was closed down.

Here is a definition of Excess of loss reinsurance

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/excess-loss-reinsurance.asp

PS I found unpaid claims on a certain RMS Titanic still on the Technical Accounts system that I managed to keep running. Also claims for hundreds of laptops which fell into lakes as people were getting off float planes in Canada.

Freda said...

1 Fried Chicken
2 Russia
3 Oil Rig
4 Crimea
5 2000

Edith Reuwer said...

1. Fried Mars Bar
2. The UK
3. Oil Rig
4. cyprus
5. 2000

I do enjoy that song. Do you remember when Liza Milnnelli performed it on the muppet show?

https://youtu.be/LCGSZmTsX7o

Debbi said...

Yeah, I watched him in the new Perry Mason. He was also great in The Americans.

That's so funny about him being in Columbo! :) Did you know Peter Falk and Patrick McGoohan were very close friends? McGoohan made more than one appearance as the villain on Columbo.

1. Fried Chicken
2. the UK
3. an oil rig
4. Crimea
5. 2000

Check my website here for info on my team fundraising effort for dystonia research.

Thank you! :)