Saturday 3 July 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-7-2021: Kafka

3rd July, 2021.


It’s official: I have — in theory — an interview, today.

Via Zoom.

Given I’ve had a couple pdf interviews that haven’t gone ahead, this week?

I’m a little unsure if this will go ahead.

Here’s hoping … !

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four, and Edith on two.

The day also saw Trevorª and Edith leaving us a message. Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        3rd July saw the birth of writer, Franz Kafka.   In which year of the 1880s?

Q2)        He was born in Prague: then part of the Kingdom or Bohemia.   Prague’s now in which country: Austria, Borogravia or the Czech Republic?

Q3)        Franz wrote Das Urteil in 1912.   The novel’s usually called what, in English: The Judgement, The Process or The Giant, Man-Eating, Praying Mantis from Space?

Q4)        Josef K appears in which Kafka story: The Judgement, The Trial or The Verdict?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Kafka died of complication of tuberculosis.   In which year of the 1920s?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        2nd July, 2013, saw the International Astronomical Union name Kerberos and Styx.   Kerberos and Styx are the fourth and fifth moons of where: Neptune, Pluto or Uranus?
A1)        Pluto.

Q2)        Hendrick Peter Godfried Quack was born on 2nd July, 1834.   He was a what: economist, GP or dairy farmer?
A2)        Economist.   (You’d think, with a name like Quack …)

Q3)        Actress, Margot Robbie, was born: on 2nd July, 1990.   She played Tonya Harding, in I, Tonya. Tonya Harding was a what: shot putter, figure skater or skateboarder?
A3)        Figure skater.

Q4)        Actor, Brock Peters, was born on 2nd July, 1927.   He played Tom Robinson in which 1962 film?
A4)        To Kill A Mockingbird.   (He also plays Ben Sisko’s Dad, in Star Trek: Deep Space 9.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Kyle Hogg was born on 2nd July, 1983.   He plays what: cricket, football or rugby league?
A5)        Cricket.
Here’s a thought … 
“We are as forlorn as children lost in the woods. When you stand in front of me and look at me, what do you know of the griefs that are in me and what do I know of yours?”
Franz Kafka.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        “Quite a story,” is possibly understating it, Olga!
As for the Ripper … ?   Do you remember the Yorkshire Ripper?   From what I recall, some of the Judge’s comments at the trial, along side some from the police involved were … unfortunate.   The fact this was many years after Jack the Ripper’s killings possibly says something.
I’ve got to admit, I’ve also read I, Robot: it, and the original Foundation, are book sized books, I know that!   The rest Trevor mentioned … ?   Are big!
(If nothing else, I think Asimov should be remembered for his Robot stories.   He introduced safety features for robots!   Elon Musk should remember that.)

†        Hello, Mum!

‡        It is nice, isn’t it, Edith?   Mind you, I prefer Anastasia’a Cowboys and Kisses!   And thanks for the bagpipe video: there’s not many handmade instruments being made.   (Saying that?   A very old friend’s got a custom bass guitar on order!   Lord knows how much that’s costing him!)


^        I’ve got to admit, I’ve seen some of The Foundation novels in the shops, Debbi.   They’re intimidatingly LARGE!   Saying that … ?   I’m glad I’ve caught up with it: I can see where Traveller got some of its ideas about a galactic Imperium.
And, yes, I’m looking forward to the series: Jared Harris is playing Hard Seldon.   He was rather impressive in Chernobyl.

ª        Oh … so he was going for Hitch-hikers territory, Trevor?   At any rate, I’ll possibly just stick to the first one, for now: it’s a book-sized book!

4 comments:

Freda said...

1 1883
2 Czech Republic
3 The Judgement
4 The VERDICT
5 1924

Olga said...

Q1) 1883

Q2) The Czech Republic (I’ve only visited it once, but it’s beautiful. Well-worth a visit, or more than one).

Q3) The Judgement

Q4) The Trial

Q5) 1924 (What a horrible way to die!)
I don't usually mind long books once I've started reading them, if they are engaging, of course, but the thought of them can put me off sometimes. I've read War and Peace and Anna Karenina, and they aren't bad reads at all, but I am not big on fantasy or hard science-fiction, which usually tend to be the really long books (I don't have patience for long descriptions). I think I've told you that I love Moby Dick and that is quite long as well, but...
I hope the interview takes place this time. Mind you, the fire/market I had mentioned yesterday... has been cancelled. I was on my way there when one of the organizers phoned me to tell me not to go. At least it was a local thing. She told me she'd be sending a press note about it, but mentioned la guardia urbana (the city police), so I'm not sure if there has been some change to the rules. It's true that the cases are going up again, but I haven't heard that there are new restrictions in place, and this is was supposed to be an outdoor event... Oh, who knows!

Debbi said...

Speaking of Kafka, my life seems to be turning into one of his works.

I haven't turned into a cockroach. But I assume there's plenty of time for that. :)

1. 1883
2. the Czech Republic
3. The Judgment
4. The Trial
5. 1924

My computer is having a nervous breakdown. But I'm not panicking. :) #dontpanic

Edith Reuwer said...

1. 1885
2. The Czech Republic
3. The Judgement
4. The Trial
5. 1926

Paul, today's quote made me choke up. You choose such good quotes

The Anastasia song you posted was very powerful.