Friday 9 July 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-8-2021: Tom Hanks.

9th July, 2021.


Right then … it’s a Friday.

So, inevitably, I’ll doing my Follow Friday’s on Twitter, later.

Just as inevitably?

I’ve another meeting: or, at least, Zoom lesson on my course.

Which reminds me, I’ll have to do another section of the associated Health and Safety Course!

Busy, busy, busy!

~≈fi≈~

Do you follow the Technology news?

I do: or, at least I try to … if I can understand it!

At any rate?   Something I noticed, this morning, is Sainsbury’s big decision: to stop selling CDs and DVDs.

Basically … ?   Because people are shifting from optical media, to subscribing to streaming services like Netflix and Apple Music.

That’s … 

Well, I’ve mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand … ?   I’ve bought from iTunes, and listen to Spotify as much as anyone.

And rented movies from various VOD services.

On the other hand … ?

There are times when buying the CD is cheaper than buying the album from iTunes: or the thing’s not on Spotify.

The same applies to DVDs.

It’s … 

Well, it’s sad.

But there you go … 

~≈fi≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Debbi‡ and Edith^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four, and Edith on two.

The day also saw Trevor leaving us a message.
 Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Tom Hanks was born on 9th July.   Of which year of the 1950s?

Q2)        He voices Woody in a well known series of Disney-Pixar films.   What’s the name of the first film?

Q3)        He won a Best Actor Oscar in 1994: for the 1993 film, Philadelphia.   He won his second Best Actor Oscar in 1995.   For which 1994 film?

Q4)        In one 2001 movie, Tom Hanks plays a man called Chuck: who’s best friend is a volleyball called Wilson.   Which 2001 film?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Tom appears opposite Daryl Hannah: in which rather damp 1984 film?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        8th July is the feast day of Procopius of Scythopolis.   Scythopolis is in which modern, Middle Eastern, country: Israel, Saudi Arabia or Yemen?
A1)        Israel.   It’s now called Beit She’an.

Q2)        8th July, 1947, saw reports that what had crashed in a small town called Roswell: a submarine, passenger jet or UFO?
A2)        UFO.

Q3)        8th July, 1951, saw the birth of Anjelica Huston.   In which film did she first play Morticia Addams?
A3)        The Addams Family.   Da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum. Click click

Q4)        The Wall Street Journal was first published on 8th July: of which year of the 1880s?
A4)        1889.

Q5)        Finally … ?   8th July is the feast day of Saint Auspicious of Trier.   Trier, where: Germany, Austria or Hungary?
A5)        Germany.
Here’s a thought … 
“I’ve made over 20 movies, and 5 of them are good.”
Tom Hanks.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Hopefully, Olga, the Uplift’s removal can be fought in Parliament.   Though I think it would take a Private Members Bill.   I believe the decision is a change to a regulation, rather than a law, so wouldn’t come before the House.   But don’t know.   Here’s hoping: the extra £20 would is useful!
As for the job situation … ?   Well … 

†        Hello, Mum!   Enjoy the Holiday!

‡        The jobs, you mean, Debbi?   TELL me about it!   Oh, just as a thought … ?   Happy Birthday … !


^        Oh, cheers for that, Edith!   Those Fandom pages can be very handy, can’t they?   Oh … I’ve just found Elton John’s Muppet show performance … !

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1956

Q2) Toy Story

Q3) Forrest Gump

Q4) Cast Away (2000, it seems, rather than 2001, although by not much)

Q5) Splash
Fingers crossed about the uplift. I know what you mean about CDs and DVDs. I brought my blue ray player here, from the UK (I got one that could play multiregional DVDs, because I got quite a few American films I had to get when I was doing my PhD, which I couldn't find in any other format, and I wanted to be able to watch them, but I must confess I hardly ever use it now, although I have a small collection of films. Oh, well).
Oh, and Happy Birthday to Debbi, of course!

Freda said...

1 1952
2 Toy Story
3 Forest Gump
4 Castaway
5 Splash

Edith Reuwer said...

1. 1956
2. Toy Story
3. Sully
4. Castaway
5. Splash

Elton John's performance is so much fun.

You are very welcome for the fan page.

Debbi said...

Oh, my! Serenaded on Twitter and a blog. Good heavens! :)

And such an easy topic! One of my favorite actors, for obvious reasons. :)

1. 1956
2. Toy Story
3. Forrest Gump
4. Cast Away
5. Splash

Gotta loosen up my digits for tomorrow. :)