Tuesday, 23 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 23-4-2013: World Book Night

You realise it’s the 23rd of April … ?

You’d worked that out, hadn’t you: you’re As capable of checking a calendar as I am.

Which means you’ve possibly worked out two things.

1)        It’s Saint Georges Day.   Have a good one, if you’re celebrating it.   Try and avoid the dragons, I’d prefer a live audience that’s not been eaten by green scaly mythological creatures.

And 2)        It’s ALSO World Book Night: marking the birth and death of William Shakespeare, the death of Miguel Cervantes, and an old regional Spanish tradition that sees lovers give each other a book.   (Usually of love poems.)

Either way … ?   Have fun, today: if you see me, I might just give you something to read … 

As I’m one of the volunteer givers for this year.

Let’s move on … 

}}{{

Yesterday’s saw Debbi and Adrence putting in their answers.   With Debbi mentioning Big Bang Theory*, it also saw Adrence bagging nought out of seven, and Debbi bagging seven.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s World Book Night questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd April is World Book Night: in which year of the 1990s was it first celebrated … ?
Q2) In part, World Book Night marks the death of William Shakespeare, on Saint Georges Day: in which year of the 17th Century … ?
Q3) Equally to the point, that day also saw the death of Miguel de Cervantes.   Which of his works is considered by many to be the world’s first novel … ?
Q4) There are twenty World Book Night Books being handed out in the UK, this year: name any one of them … ?
Q5) In which Spanish region are books traditionally given to one’s sweetheart on Saint Georges Day … ?
Q6) Excluding things like The Bible, The Qu’ran and The Communist Manifesto, what 1859 book is supposed to be the biggest selling in the English language … ?
Q7) And finally … what name is given to the original official publication of Shakespeare’s plays … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd April, 1915, saw which gas used as a chemical weapon, for the first time … ?
A1) Chlorine.
Q2) During the second battle of where … ?
A2) Ypres.
Q3) 22nd April, 1993, saw the release of the world’s first successful web browser: what was it called … ?
A3) Mosaic.
Q4) 22nd April, 1977, saw the first use of optical fibre, to carry live what: tv shows, phone conversations or computer data … ?
A4) Phone conversations.
Q5) 22nd April, 1971, saw the death of Dr Francois Duvalier: president — and dictator — of where … ?
A5) Haiti.
Q6) More to the point, what was his nickname … ?
A6) Papa Doc’.
Q7) And finally … 22nd April, 1912, saw the first publication of Pravda: what’s the meaning of the word, Pravda, in English … ?
A7) Truth.
Enjoy those: I’ll leave you with this rather relevant Elvis number … 


And with this thought from Umberto Eco …
“Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry.”
Umberto Eco.
Have a good day … !










*        I’ve got to admit, Debbi, I’ve never actually seen it: I’ve got Freeview, as it’s free … !   Which means I can never work out something my friends are raving about is on … !

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's a good show, if you get a chance to catch it. Hope you had a great World Book Night! :)

    I've started work on my screenplay about the time traveling adventurer. What a thrill! :D

    1. 1995
    2. 1616
    3. Don Quixote
    4. Casino Royale
    5. Catalonia
    6. A Tale of Two Cities
    7. the First Folio

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.