Friday, 26 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 26-4-2013: Chernobyl

That’s a pain … !

I have to say, I was doing a — still unfinished — write-up on a film I’d watched, on Wednesday night.

And got interrupted.

By some twerp to hacked into my main, private, email address — at BT*’s end — and start sending out spam.

I’ve managed to sort that out by resetting my password, the bog-standard way of regaining control of one’s email.  

But lordy, it’s a pain … !

Let’s move on … 

~~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† putting in her answers: along with letting us know she’d be posting about  a video I’d passed on to her, also bagging five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 26th April saw what was then the world’s worst nuclear accident: at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station, in the (then) USSR.   The plant is in what’s now which country … ?
Q2) In which year of the 1980s … ?
Q3) More to the point, what’s the name of the nearby town that housed most of the plant’s workers … ?
Q4) The plant, itself was — in the Soviet era — named for which Russian revolutionary … ?
Q5) Part of what went wrong at the plant, were some of the moderating control rods used in the reactors.   What type of carbon were these rods made of … ?
Q6) What kind of fuel was used in that plant: plutonium dioxide, neptunium dioxide or uranium dioxide … ?
Q7) Chernobyl was the world’s nuclear accident: until a plant in which country exploded … ?
Q8) Finally … what was the name of the 2012 horror film, set in and around the Chernobyl plant … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th April saw Francis Crick and James D. Watson publish their article, describing the shape of the DNA molecule.   What does DNA stand for … ?
A1) Deoxyribonucleic acid.
Q2) What shape IS DNA … ?
A2) A double helix: roughly that of a double spiral.
Q3) That shape was revealed to Crick and Watson by the image called Photo 51.   What was the name of the woman who took that photo … ?
A3) Rosalind Franklin.
Q4) The D in DNA is a what: sugar, salt or phosphate … ?
A4) Sugar.
Q5) And finally … how many chromosomal pairs do humans have: 22, 23 or 24 … ?
A5) 23.
I’ll leave you with this thought from Mikhail Gorbachev …
“We were just not prepared for that sort of situation.”
Mikhail Gorbachev.
And with Ghost Town, by Huns and Beeker … 


Enjoy the day … 












*        BT basically buy in email server space from Yahoo: slowly getting a reputation for not keeping out baddies … 

†        I’ll look forward to it, Debbi.   (By the way, I’m just hoping you DIDN’T get one of the spam emails … ?   The contents will be along the lines of “From me32”, along with a link.   Which I’d SERIOUSLY suggest not clicking … !)

1 comment:

  1. I did get one of the spam messages, but it looked suspicious. Then, Rick told me about your notice on FB, Twitter or someplace. Anyhow, I never click on anything that looks suspicious. So, no worries! :)

    I really am considering buying a Mac, for many reasons. How about that?

    1. Ukraine
    2. 1986
    3. Prypiat
    4. V.I. Lenin
    5. nuclear graphite
    6. uranium dioxide
    7. Japan
    8. Chernobyl Diaries

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.