Saturday 6 July 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6-7-2019: Trams.

6th July, 2019.


Yep: they’re in!

They … ?

They, I hear you say?

Yes: my new TV’s turned up.

And works, I should add.

On top of that?

I’ve now got a new tumble dryer: which works, works well, and … is very quiet … !

Marvellous … !

~≈§≈~

While I’ve got your attention … ?

I’m going to publicly thank Richard Banyard, who left me a comment on yesterday’s Teaser.

Correcting my pronunciation.

Apparently?

‘Tynwald’ is pronounced ‘TINwald’: which I have to admit, I didn’t know.

It’s nice to get a comment … 

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring ten out of ten, and Anne on nine..

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) London’s trams made their last appearance on London’s streets: on 6th July, 1952.   Their last appearance until which year … ?
Q2) Those new trams are run by whom?
Q3) Pantographs are used to power many London trams.   To over head what wires?
Q4) Beckham Junction, Elmers End and New Addington are at one end of of the London’s new tram lines.   What’s at the other?
Q5) Finally … ?   Which BBC newsreader provides announces for London’s trams?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 5th July is Tynwald Day.   It’s a national holiday in which of the British Isles?
A1) The Isle of Man.
Q2) The Tynwald, itself, is the island’s what?
A2) Parliament/legislature.
Q3) The Tynwald usually meets in the Island’s capital.   What is the capital?
A3) Douglas.
Q4) Which famous motorbike race starts and finishes at the capital?
A4) The Isle of Man TT.   (It’s also got the reputation as the most dangerous motorbike race on the planet.   Since it started in 1907, 259 competitors have been killed, five officials — 3 of them on public roads —, two bystanders and two spectators.)
Q5) Who’s the island’s head of state?
A5) Queen Elizabeth 2nd: the current Lord of Mann.
Q6) The head of state is usually represented by the Lieutenant Governor.   Who’s the current Lieutenant Governor?
A6) Sir Richard Gozney.
Q7) The island’s famed main symbol is a triskele.   In its case, one consisting of three … what?
A7) Legs.
Q8) Members of the Tynwald, and many of the island’s inhabitants, speak English.   And what else … ?
A8) Manx.
Q9) The island has a well known species of cat: famous for lacking a … what?
A9) Tail.   (Man’s also famous for a breed of sheep … and a local species of Red necked wallaby.)
Q10) Finally?   Is the Island a member of the EU?
A10) No.   (It’s not even part of the UK …)
Here’s a thought …
“Alan Watkins and his fellow enthusiasts foresaw this happening and argued against the destruction of a fine tramway system.”
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        Oh, yes!   That was one of the science fiction ideas, Anne!   Junkie aliens, hooked on human kids … ?   Nice … !

†        Yeah, that has worried me, Olga.  The dryer’s rated ‘C’ according to the Energy Rating sticker. Right down the bottom of the list.   On the upside?   I put a load through, last night: and it dealt with them very fast!

‡        I’m looking forward to it, Debbi: I’m … impatient!   And, I know what you mean about the checks, Debbi: I have to do them, myself!   (Change to Wordpress … ?    *Sucks in breath*.)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2000
Q2) Tramlink
Q3) I’m not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking what type of wires, what they are called or…? Power lines? (I’m sure teachers must have told you to write in full sentences often. They sure told me!)
Q4) Wimbledon
Q5) Nicholas Owen
Manchester and Sheffield have trams and I quite like them (there's a line in Barcelona too, but I've only tried it a couple of times. There used to be many, but they removed them years back).
The time it takes to dry will depend on the kind of clothes. Thick winter clothes, towels, bedsheets... I'm sure you'll see as you go along, but then you're on your own, so it might not make a huge difference, although they are not environmentally or energy friendly, that's true. Good to hear the TV is now up and running. :)

Debbi said...

You could. Totally. You're the computer dude, man. :)

1. 2000
2. FirstGroup
3. electrical
4. Wimbledon
5. Nicholas Owen

When we were in London, the PA announcer who said, "Mind the gap" had a voice that sounded to me like David Tennant. At least, to me. :)