Friday 5 July 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-7-2019: Tynwald Day

5th July, 2019


Right … there’s two things I should tell you.

I think … 

First … ?

I’ve found some entertainingly headache inducing animated backgrounds.

If you can let me know what you think, I’d appreciate it.

Second … ?

My tumble dryer’s turned up.

It’s … 

A bit bigger than I thought, I know that.

I could, quite possibly, dry four people’s clothes!

Oy!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) 5th July is Tynwald Day.   It’s a national holiday in which of the British Isles?
Q2) The Tynwald, itself, is the island’s what?
Q3) The Tynwald usually meets in the Island’s capital.   What is the capital?
Q4) Which famous motorbike race starts and finishes at the capital?
Q5) Who’s the island’s head of state?
Q6) The head of state is usually represented by the Lieutenant Governor.   Who’s the current Lieutenant Governor?
Q7) The island’s famed main symbol is a triskele.   In its case, one consisting of three … what?
Q8) Members of the Tynwald, and many of the island’s inhabitants, speak English.   And what else … ?
Q9) The island has a well known species of cat: famous for lacking a … what?
Q10) Finally?   Is the Island a member of the EU?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 4th July, 1776, saw the USA adopt its Declaration of Independence.   It was adopted in a meeting in which US city?
Q2) That city’s in which US state?
Q3) Where was the USA declaring itself independent from: England, Great Britain or the UK?
Q4) The Declaration was signed by representatives of the original Thirteen Colonies.   Name one of those colonies.
A4) New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island And Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia.
Q5) Who was the oldest person to sign the Declaration?
Q6) Moving on.   There were thirteen colonies when the USA declared independence.   How many are there, now?
A6) Fifty.  (50).
Q7) The US also has five inhabited territories.   Name one.
A7) American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Q8) The first Pizzeria in the US, was in which city: New York, Chicago or Philadelphia?
A8) New York.   (Jude would never forgive me if I hadn’t mentioned pizza.)
Q9) What’s the most widely spoken Native American language in the USA: Cherokee, Apache or Navajo?
A9) Navaho.
Q10) Finally … ?   Watched regularly by thirty-seven percent of the population, what’s the USA’s most popular spectator sport?
Here’s a motto …
“Quocunque Jeceris Stabit.”
“Whithersoever you throw it, it will stand.”

The island’s motto.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I have to admit, Anne, Matt’s best season was his last one: at least I think so.   Did you see Torchwood: Children of Earth?   That’s Capaldi’s show: and one of the best performances!   I think he did a better one in that, than he did in the main show!

†        I agree with you, there, Olga: I think there’s an incontinent rat in their warehouse.   To give Argos their due, though, they got the tumble dryer to me good and early, and working well.   What CAN I tell you?   Apart from mentioning the dryer’s bloody huge?   My washing machine’s smaller!

‡        Oh, LORD, I know the shape of that one, Debbi!   (Oh, I’ve had have a dozen bits delivered by Amazon and Argos.   No sign of The Cooler, but at least I’ve a copy of English Grammar for Dummies.   Oh, and a new external drive for my media collection.   Copying stuff is taking a while … )

5 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

(birtie and matt smith
(1) Isle of Man,(2) legislature of the Isle of Man. (3)Douglas (4) Isle of Man TT(5)Queen Elizabeth II(6)Sir Richard Gozney(7)prongs of each leg.(8).Manx (9)tail (10)
Yes I've have the DVD of "Children of the Earth" one of my favourites that one. "We are, We are coming" loved it

Olga said...

Q1) The Isle of Man
Q2) parliament
Q3) Douglas
Q4) The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Race
Q5) Queen Elizabeth II (Lord of Mann)
Q6) Sir Richard Gozney
Q7) legs
Q8) Manx
Q9) Tail (or having a very short one, it seems)
Q10) No
I had a combined washing machine and drier at some point, but was far from impressed. One of the problems tends to be that they do use a lot of electricity. I hope it works well for you.

Nik Nak said...

Before I forget?

There’s a big thank you to Richard Banyard.

In my defence, Richard? I’ve never actually heard the word pronounced!

Debbi said...

Well, hopefully you'll get it soon. It's really great reading! :)

1. Isle of Man
2. legislature
3. Douglas
4. Isle of Man TT
5. Chief Minister Howard Quayle
6. Richard Gozney
7. three legs joined at the hips
8. Manx
9. tail
10. no

Debbi said...

Jeez! The things I do to prove I'm not a robot. Boy, do I hate those ... blurred photo confirmation thingies. :)

I know you have no control over Blogger, Paul. But ... meh ... :)

Switch to Wordpress! :) Hee hee.