Tuesday 17 December 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th December, 2019.

17th December, 2019


You know, I’ve done most of my Christmas cards: and got them posted.

Written, stamped, posted and hopefully on the way to their respective destinations.

Bar a few I can hand deliver, that’s that lot done.

Now … ?

All I have to do is wrap up Xmas presents.

I just hope I’ve still got some Sellotape.

Someone’s getting a great big pile of stuff … 


~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 17th December, 1939, saw the scuttling of the German ship, the Admiral Graf Spee.   During the Battle of what: the River Plate, Lake Fork or Biscuit Bay?
Q2) 17th December, 1969, saw the US Airforce cancel Project Bluebook.   What was Project Bluebook studying?
Q3) 17th December, 1942, saw the killing of European Jews condemned by the then British Foreign Secretary.   Who was that Foreign Secretary?
Q4) The first full length episode of The Simpsons aired on 17th December, 1989.   On which US Network?
Q5) Finally … ?   17th December, 1904, saw the birth of Paul Cadmus.   He achieved fame as a what: jeweller, painter or sculptor?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Kazakhstan declared its independence: on 16th December.   From where?
A1) The USSR: also known as the Soviet Union.
Q2) In which year?
A2) 1991.
Q3) Does Kazakhstan have an ocean coastline?
A3) No: it’s landlocked … sort of …   (Bizarrely?   It DOES have a Navy: that operates on the Caspian Sea.)
Q4) Name either one of Kazakhstan’s official languages.
Q5) Finally … ?   What’s the name of Kazakhstan’s capital?
Here’s a thought …
“Only a merciful Church shines!”
Pope Francis, born 17 December 1936.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Nice to hear the child’s getting support, Olga.   I’ve known a few people who’ve been adopted — more adopted than me — and they always seem to have issues.   Actually, now I think of it, I know at least one poster, here, has adopted a child from overseas.   The kid’s doing well, I’m told.   But I got that same impression, that the process is fiddly!   As for the phone-in‡?   Yes: it can be exhausting!   The place I worked could get stressful, too.   You’d get callers needing all sorts, wanting and needing emergency repairs: and getting seriously ratty, because their boiler was leaking at a rate of knots.   The one I’m glad I didn’t had to handle was Grenfell Tower.   We took emergency housing requests for the landlord, and the night it went up was busy.   I’m glad I wasn’t on duty, I don’t know if I’d’ve coped!   (I’d still like to work in the same sort of environment: our place was genuinely helpful … and the customers were less trouble than serving drunk people …)

†        It’s another short one, today, Debbi: although tomorrow’s a ten question job.   I saw the Facebook post, as well: how is the treatment going … ?

‡        Still, €9.4 million is a good result …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The River Plate
Q2) UFOs
Q3) Anthony Eden
Q4) Fox
Q5) Painter
Yes, you are right. A difficult but important job. I hope you get something similar at some point. (And yes, they'll have to wait a few months for the final tally, but it's been good, especially considering this in a Catalonian-only initiative, not of the whole of Spain).
I hope to help again in coming years. Might try something different, although the bigger numbers needed are for answering phones, so we'll see. (I wouldn't mind doing some of the running around as you'd probably get a better sense of what was going on). The security people also seemed to have fun.
My friend had quite a tough time of the adoption process (although she and her husband had had a psychological assessment and they had come to an agreement on what child would be best suited to their circumstances, once there, it seems that they took them to an orphanage and the situation was so dire that my friend wanted to take all the children with her. There was a little girl with serious medical problems who was likely to die if she could not get somewhere where they could perform cardiac surgery, and she wouldn't get it there... The boy they adopted had a cleft palate, although not a very severe problem, and now it's sorted. [They are not very well off and just the cost of going to the country and having to stay there for a month put a big hole in their finances].
Good luck with your present wrapping! (I am terrible at it. Here they used to do it for you in the shops, and it was a new experience for me when I got to the UK. Now it's not that common here but you have places where they do it and the funds go to charities. With the issues with sustainability and all that, I don't think it makes sense any longer, and I don't have the patience for it either.

Debbi said...

Just spent the day at NIH getting injected. Any benefit will take a few weeks to kick in. Assuming I even feel a benefit. Unfortunately. :)

1. the River Plate
2. UFOs
3. Anthony Eden
4. Fox
5. painter

Stiff upper lip, eh? :)