Friday 13 December 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13-12-2019: Friday the 13th

13th December, 2019.


I’m in the UK.

A UK that’s just had a General Election.

A General Election that’s going to see the UK leaving the European Union.

As it sees the Conservatives win a huge majority: some seventy-eight seats, if the BBC’s right.

I believe the UK is going to suffer for this.

I’m a confirmed Remainer.

I feel staying in the EU is a good thing.

And that the UK will suffer as a result of this election.

Partly, because the Tory Government will push for Brexit.

And partly?   Because the other party that’s done well is the Scottish Nationalist Party.

They’re going to push for an Independence referendum.

Good for them.

If the SNP get it and win it, somewhere in the UK gets to stay in the EU: even if it means the UK breaks up.

I don’t think the UK deserves to exist under this Government.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring ten out of ten, and Debbi on nine.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 13th December, 2019 is a Friday 13th.   When was the last Friday 13th?
Q2) In Spanish speaking countries, the unlucky 13th is on a what: Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?
Q3) In Italy, what’s the unlucky day: Tuesday 13th, Friday 13th or Friday 17th?
Q4) The first US film called Friday the 13th was released in which year?
Q5) Finally … ?   Which seminal rock album was released on Friday, 13th February, 1970?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 12th December, 2019, sees the UK hold the 2019 General Election.   The last UK General election was in which year?
A1) 2017.
Q2) Who was Prime Minister … at that last election?
Q3) Who’s the Prime Minister … in this election?
Q4) How old must you be, to vote in a UK general election: 16, 17 or 18?
A4) 18.
Q5) How old must you be, to vote in an election to the Scottish Parliament: 16, 17 or 18?
A5) 16.
Q6) Which country of the UK is planning to lower the voting age for its elections to 16: Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or England?
A6) Wales.
Q7) In recent years, the Labour Party has faced accusations of what: antisemitism, Islamophobia or Afrophobia?
Q8) In recent years, the Conservative Party has faced accusations of what: antisemitism, Islamophobia or Afrophobia?
Q9) The period between the announcement of the General Election, and the new government being formed, is called what?
A9) Purdah.   It means civil and public servants have to be seriously impartial and no local councils can make new announcements.   It’s from either Urdu or Persian, referring to women’s seclusion.
Q10) Finally … ?   What’s the only part of the UK where you have to show photo ID, in order to vote?
A10) Northern Ireland.   (I don’t know why you need it in Northern Ireland, when you don’t in the rest of the UK.)
Here’s a thought …
“It’s Friday the 13th, my favourite holiday. Keep it weird.”
Frances Bean Cobain.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Well … the UK’s knackered, Olga: at least that’s my thinking.   The SNP will be pushing for a referendum: considering it’s the one part of the UK that unequivocally voted Remain.   I think I want to move to Scotland.   Good luck to ’em, the UK doesn’t deserve to exist under this government.   As for the projectors?   I think I’d like either: but a digital projector would play better with my Mac.   The one good thing … ?   Is the two of us who got delayed by the bus caught up with the work.   We’re supposed to be doing a poster, today.   That’ll possibly do me some good: I can get annoyed about PowerPoint.

†        *Shuffles gently away from overworked recovering lawyer.*   At ANY rate, Debbi?   Did I mention the election?   I’m a decidedly unhappy bunny … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) September 2019
Q2) Tuesday. Lucky that, as we have the Christmas dinner for the radio this evening. I would have been quite scary (although after living for so many years in the UK, now I watch out for both).
Q3) Friday 17th
Q4) 1980
Q5) Black Sabbath
Truly bad news, but I can't say I am surprised about the election results. And yes, the Scottish results aren't surprising either. I did wonder about moving there at some point as well. It's beautiful and they seem a bit more reasonable (and also rather mad at the same time). Yes, they do remind me of Catalonia in many ways (worse weather). I remember talking to a psychiatrist about how fed up I was with how things were run in the UK and she told me things were quite different there. And yesterday they were talking about one of the politicians on the run from Catalonia. She is due to be tried in Scotland and her lawyer was saying that things would probably take an interesting turn depending on the elections, as they might completely dismiss the case. They are quite sympathetic to her plight...
I often wonder if people just want to see how bad things can really get, or if they think it's all a big joke. I still insist that my idea of locking all the politicians in The Big Brother House, or on an island (if you prefer something like Survivor), and seeing who wins as a way of deciding who runs the country makes as much sense, it would be more entertaining, and at least it wouldn't cost us anything (it might even make money)! Good grief!

Debbi said...

No worries, Paul! I can handle it! :) Har.

Yeah, the election. What can I say? I sympathize.

1. Sept. 13, 2019
2. Tuesday
3. Friday 17th
4. 1980
5. Black Sabbath