Wednesday 18 December 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18-12-2019: UN Arabic Language Day

18th December, 2019


Right: it’s definite.

I’ve finished the course.

I’m unemployed, so you know.

And?

As well as well as monetary help, I get occasional help extra help.

In this case?   I’ve had help: from a course designed to help with basic CV writing, interview technique, what have you.

I’ve now officially finished: a day or two early,

Whether it helps me find a job?   Is a whole other question.

But at least I’ve finished it, and can add it to my CV.

~≈¥≈~

Have you got any spare sticky tape?

Sellotape, in other words: rather than Durex*, bondage tape, lingerie tape, surgical tape or duct tape!

I was going to wrap up the very few Christmas presents I’ve been able to afford, this year.

Please not, I say was.

Ha!

It wasn’t until I went to look I realised I’d run out of sticky tape.

Hey … 

Ho!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict†, Olga‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 18th December is UN Arabic Language Day.   Which mythical bird has a name — in English — that comes from the Arabic word, الرُخّ, or rukh?
Q2) An Ifrit, or عفريت, is a what: snake, water pipe or demon?
Q3) Alcohol comes from the Arabic word, الكحل, al-kohl.   IT actually refers to what: powder, ethanol or cheese?
Q4) The English version of the Arabic word, matrah (مَطْرَحٌ), is on your bed.   What IS a matrah?
Q5) The word, مخازن, makhāzin, has entered English as magazine.   In this case, are we talking about storage, or something to read?
Q6) The Hisab al-Jummal are one form of Arabic … what?
Q7) Khufic, Naskh and Thuluth are Arabic … what?
Q8) Birayl ʿarabīyah (بِرَيْل عَرَبِيَّة) is the Arabic version of what?
Q9) Arabic is one of three official languages in Djibouti.   Name one of the other two.
Q10) Finally … ?   The country with the most Arabic speakers?   Is where: Saudi Arabia, Iran or Egypt?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th December, 1939, saw the scuttling of the German ship, the Admiral Graf Spee.   During the Battle of what: the River Plate, Lake Fork or Biscuit Bay?
Q2) 17th December, 1969, saw the US Airforce cancel Project Bluebook.   What was Project Bluebook studying?
A2) UFOs.
Q3) 17th December, 1942, saw the killing of European Jews condemned by the then British Foreign Secretary.   Who was that Foreign Secretary?
Q4) The first full length episode of The Simpsons aired on 17th December, 1989.   On which US Network?
A4) Fox.
Q5) Finally … ?   17th December, 1904, saw the birth of Paul Cadmus.   He achieved fame as a what: jeweller, painter or sculptor?
A5) Painter.
Here’s a proverb …
“أرى كل إنسان يرى عيب غيره ويعمى عن العيب الذي هو فيه”
“Everyone is critical of the flaws of others, but blind to their own.”

Old Arabic proverb.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Jasper Carrott’s observations on Australian sticky tape are well known.   Then there’s bondage tape.   I really didn’t need to know about bondage tape!

†        Morning, Derek, how’s the day … ?   (What IS South Africa’s biggest sticky tape … ?)

‡        Security people, Olga?   Ah HA!   We have a potential Bouncer at hand!   Remind me to tell you about Robbie Coltrane’s few appearances in The Young Ones, at some point.   As for adoptions … ?   Well, that sounds about right: there’s so much needed in these things, isn’t there … ?   (Now … about sticky tape …)

^        That always seems to be the way, Debbi, I think: these things do take a while … !   I know the levothyroxine I’m on took a while.   Sorry about the length, today.   (Remind me to share that Jasper Carrott sketch on FB, later.   It’s not just American and British English that have differences …)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Roc
Q2) A water pipe
Q3) Powder (that’s a surprise, but I understand the explanation about distillation)
Q4) The English version of the Arabic word, matrah (مَطْرَحٌ), is on your bed. What IS a matrah? I’m not sure if it is a problem with the actual word, but I find Muttrah or even Matrah itself, that is a district in Oman or a city, and then if I try translating it, it comes up with excretory (and adjective, rather than a name). Are you sure it’s the right spelling? I guess you refer to mattress, when you talk about the English version, but… OK. This is weird. When I checked mattress, it comes up with matrah as a carpet or cushion, when talking about the origin of the English word, but it does not seem to work if you try the other way round. I wonder….
Q5) About storage
Q6) It’s a decimal alphabetic numeral system/alphanumeric code
Q7) Arabic caligraphies
Q8) Braille alphabet
Q9) French
Q10) Egypt
Well, the security people at the charity event were mostly tasked with lining up people and marching them to one place or another. I don't know if they also had to deal with the VIPs who came to help (I never got to see any. I was too far at the back!), but it did look fun, and you weren't tied up to the chair and the phone. On the other hand, I'm not sure about the people looking after the coats and all. They must have been bored for long periods of time and then swamped when everybody arrived and left.
I had tonnes of sticky tape back in the UK. (I always needed some when I was out and ended up buying more) but I didn't bother to bring it here. Pound shops in all their varieties are a good option for those kinds of things.
Oh, congratulations on finishing the course, and fingers crossed! (These time of the year, other than seasonal jobs, I don't imagine there will be much going, but one never knows)!

David said...

Moin Moin! David here. Wish me luck

1. the Roc
2. Demon
3. Powders
4. cushions or blankets tossed on the ground
5. Storage
6. Alphanumeric code
7. Scripts
8. Braille
9. French
10. Egypt

Debbi said...

And unfortunately, the treatments I undergo don't always work at all. It's a total hit-or-miss situation.

1. the roc
2. demon
3. powder
4. mattress
5. storage
6. numerals
7. script
8. Braille
9. French
10. Egypt