Monday 30 December 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th December, 2019.

30th December, 2019.


Yes: it’s a Monday morning.

Yes: I’m back to work.

At least, I would be … if I’d managed to find a job.

At any rate, I’m feeling … 

Mostly chipper.

Mostly.

The stomach’s playing up, again, so I’d need to check that with my GP about that.

And the fact we’re in to the post Christmas working week?   And I can therefore do stuff?

Well, that’s something.

~≈¥≈~

Remember, yesterday, I told you about a disc I needed to return?

I’ve done that: and not got my cash back.

As my local CeX argued it wasn’t faulty: the reason the second disc wouldn’t work was it was a ultra hi-definition disc, and needed a UHD disc, in order to play.

Hmmm … 

I’m not happy about that.

But did get a credit note … and the Dark Knight box set.

Now all I have to do?

Is return the copy of Dr Mabuse I’ve picked up.

I’m blowed if I can get the subtitles to work!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw David*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 30th December is the feast day of the Syriac Orthodox Saint, Saint Abraham.   Saint Abraham the whom?
Q2) 30th December is Rizal Day.   In which country?
Q3) The Battle of Glenmama was fought on 30th December, AD999.   Munster’s forces involved: and led by which Irish king?
Q4) The Ginza Metro line opened on 30th December, 1930.   The line’s part of which city’s underground network?
Q5) Finally … ?   What stopped being use in Britain’s coal mines: on 30th December, 1986?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The first US branch of the YMCA opened on 29th December: of which year?
A1) 1851.
Q2) In which US city?
A2) Boston, Massachusetts.
Q3) The YMCA is — famously — the Young Men’s what association?
A3) Christian.
Q4) The US YMCA’s national office is in which city: Abilene, Boise or Chicago?
A4) Chicago.
Q5) Finally … ?   James Naismith invented which sport, whilst studying at a YMCA?
Here’s a thought …
“The future of British films depends on how they are made; if the standard is high then the future is rosy.”
Carol Reed, 30 December 1906 – 25 April 1976.
And a song or two …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Fun?   Glad to hear it it, David, that’s what I’m here for!


†        Yes, you’re right, Olga: they’re that, too.   Mr Fantastic and the Invisible Woman are married, the Invisible Woman and the Human Torch are brother and sister, and the Thing’s Mr Fantastic’s best friend.   Or possibly Grandma!   Actually, they said the same about The Young Ones, the old comedy series.   Neil and Mike were Mum and Dad, and Rik and Vyvian were the little boy and little girl.   Although I don’t think 2.4 Children featured an A-bomb.   (As for the interview … ?   Well … )


‡        Now you mention it, Debbi … !   Actually?   In the original version of the game, they used peach baskets as the basket.   They only started putting holes in them, where the neighbours borrowed the stepladder … (You know, that got a mention on an old episode of QI, but I’m blowed if I can find the clip!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Writer! (Another colleague)!
Q2) In the Philippines
Q3) Brian Boru (It doesn’t sound very royal, but I guess times change)
Q4) Tokyo (Wikipedia says 1927, though, and so does the Japan Tourist information website… https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-transport/ginza-line-tokyo-metro
Q5) Canaries (I guess this one right)
Yes. The Young Ones was (probably still is) a big favourite of my cousin John, although I prefer something slightly more subtle (that I know it's not saying much).
I hope the doctors can help with the digestive problems, although I know it's an ongoing battle.
I'm probably going to be fairly busy from the 2nd of January right up to next Monday (well, and tomorrow night), as I'm going to be involved in several things the radio station is doing, both for New Year's Even and later on for Epiphany (here we celebrate the 6th of January as the day when the three wise men brought the presents to baby Jesus, and it traditionally used to be the day when presents were given to the children, but now children seem to get double share). There is a local children's festival and we interview children and record the interview and give them a copy of it, there are also craft-type activities, and one the afternoon/evening of the 5th there is a parade where organisations participate, give sweets to children (or hurl sweets at them) and also collect toys for children who can't afford them). I'm not sure how busy I'll be, as I've offered to fill in gaps, but just in case there are days when you don't see me around (with the timetable I hope I'll manage, but things sometimes get complicated).

Debbi said...

I had no idea about any of that! Wow! :)

1. Writer
2. The Philippines
3. Brian Boru
4. Tokyo
5. canaries