Saturday 29 July 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th July, 2023.

29th July, 2023.

Right … 

I can safely say that things … have happened.

I’ve now had my new, smart, utility meters — new gas and electricity meters— put in.

And have to admit, I found the process … quite stressful.

The actual engineer who did the installation?

Was fine: he was both polite, and seemed very efficient.

Which, for me?

Was reassuring.

The stuff that wasn’t … ?

Was the consequences.

I now have what my suppliers call an in-home-display.

It’s a little widget that lets me monitor how much gas and electricity I’m using, when I’m using it.

AND shows my current credit balance.

Can I make a confession … ?

Setting up the phone app, registering my payment cards, and waiting for all this to be acknowledged?

Was even more stressful!

As was topping up: after all, I’ve never actually used this new — and comparatively slow — process.

That slowness?   Is due to the fact that payments go onto my new meter over the ’Net: rather than by plugging a key or card, directly into the meter.

That slowness is not reassuring.

Especially as I’m used to the instant response from the old meters.

It’s … 

Well, the old Newspeak term seems to fit.

It’s Ungood.

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring ten out of ten.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        29th July, 1885, saw the birth of actress, Theodosia Burr Goodman.   She was better known how: Theda Bara, Clara Bow or Jane Fonda?

Q2)        29th July, 1905, saw the birth of the US actress known as ‘the IT girl’.   She was better known as whom: Theda Bara, Clara Bow or Jane Fonda?

Q3)        The Arc de Triomphe was inaugurated on 29th July, 1836.   In which French city?

Q4)        The First Hague Convention was signed: on 29th July, 1899.   When was the Second Hague Convention signed: 1906, 1907 or 1908?

Q5)        Finally … ?   29th July, 1968, saw Pope Paul 6th ban what: smoking, birth control or masturbation?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        28th July, 2022, saw the sad death of actor Bernard Cribbins.   He was born in which year of the 1920s?
A1)        1928.

Q2)        He played Special Constable Tom Campbell in Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.   Who played Dr Who, in Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.?
A2)        Peter Cushing.

Q3)        He played Wilfred Mott in Dr Who.   Who played the Doctor, in those episodes?
A3)        David Tennant.   (Indeed, Bernard’s last TV work was on the upcoming 60th Anniversary shows: with Tennant as the 14th Doctor.)

Q4)        Bernard appeared in one hundred and fourteen episodes of which children’s show: Playschool, Jackanory or Blue Peter?
A4)        Jackanory.

Q5)        He played Albert Perks in which Jenny Agutter film: Logan’s Run, The Railway Children or Walkabout?
A5)        The Railway Children.

Q6)        Bernard played Felix Forsythe in Frenzy.   Who directed Frenzy?
A6)        Alfred Hitchcock.

Q7)        He voiced Puddleglum: in the BBC Radio adaptation of C. S. Lewis’ The Silver Chair.   Who played the character in the BBC’s 1990 TV version: Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker or Peter Davison?
A7)        Tom Baker.

Q8)        Bernard played a spoon salesman in “The Hotel Inspectors”. “The Hotel Inspectors” was an episode of what?
A8)        Fawlty Towers.

Q9)        During the 1960s, he provided the narration of Tufty Fluffytail: for a series of public information films about road safety.   Tufty was a what: rabbit, squirrel or hamster?
A9)        A squirrel.

Q10)        Finally … ?   He narrated which children’s show: The Wombles, The Shoe People or The Herbs?
A10)        The Wombles.

Here’s a thought … 
“I used to teach about 65 pupils a week and what with playing as well, I was earning in the early 1950s somewhere in the region of £5,000 a year … ”
Jim Marshall, the man behind the Marshall Amp, (29 July 1923 – 5 April 2012.)
And a song …


I don’t think Charlie Christian used Marshall amps.

At any rate?

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I just about got it out on time, Olga.   Which possibly didn’t help my stress levels.   At any rate, the meters are in.   All I have to do know is check out how to use the mobile app to top up, as well as the cards.   The thing can generate bar codes, it seems.

        Hello, Mum!   (I’m saying nothing about Uncle Bulgaria.)

        Yeah, I figured it might be, Debbi!   :D   And ‘Knackered’ is one of those words … 
        Oh, you got the message about episode 8, didn’t you?   I hate sounding like a stuck record … but “Under the Clock of War” really is superb!   (Dr M’Benga’s last line is breathtaking … )

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Theda Bara

Q2) Clara Bow

Q3) Paris

Q4) 1907

Q5) birth control
I am afraid that's the way of things to come. Those who don't have smart phones I am not sure if they have any other options...
I am sure you'll get used to it soon enough. The hope is that now that they have sorted it, things would stabilise, at least for a while (fingers crossed!)

Freda said...

1 Theda Bara
2 Clara Bow
3 Paris
4 1907
5 Birth Control

Debbi said...

I look forward to that! Still catching up. Still sick, but improving.

1. Theda Bara
2. Clara Bow
3. Paris
4. 1907
5. birth control

Debbi said...

Your Tom Baker link eventually led me to this! https://www.tombakerofficial.com/

I am hopeless ... :)