Friday 21 July 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-7-2023 — You’re As Cold As Ice.

21st July, 2023: You’re as Cold as Ice.


Yes: it’s official.

It’s Payday.

Which means?

I’m going to have to put money aside.

I’m due to have my utilities meters replaced: next Friday.

As the balance on the current ones won’t be transferred over for another four to six weeks?

I need to make sure there’s cash on hand for when the new ones are installed, and the new payment cards, registered.

That way … ?   I’ve got credit on hand.

I hope it goes quickly: the uncertainty is’s doing my anxiety levels much good.

~≈¥≈~

Which is the other thing … 

I’ve put in for Personal Independence Payments: an extra benefit for those in poor health.

I had the assessment, on Tuesday just gone.

I’m … 

I have to admit to a certain amount of anxiety about that.

And a certain amount of … I don’t know what to call it: compulsive window shopping?

That seems as good a phrase as any.

My mind is convinced I’m going to walk away with a pile of cash, that I can start spending, now.

I understand it, I know it’s there, I know it’s my usual reaction to situations like this.

Including, I should say, having an unchecked lottery ticket.

Why it’s happening?

I don’t know.

But?

It’s not especially pleasant.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The world’s lowest temperature in an inhabited place, and at ground level, was recorded on 21st July, 1983.   Where: the Arctic, Antarctic or Equatorial New Guinea?

Q2)        At a base controlled by whom: the UK, USA or USSR?

Q3)        Base — and temperature — were, effectively, where: the North Pole, South Pole or Equator?

Q4)        The Base was called what: Vostok Station, Vladivostok Station or Salyut Station?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The temperature was recorded at -89° what: centigrade or Fahrenheit?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Which province joined Canada: on 20th July, 1871?
A1)        British Columbia.

Q2)        The first women in a European country to receive the vote, did so on 20th July, 1906.   Which European country: Sweden, Finland or Denmark?
A2)        Finland.

Q3)        20th July is International Chess Day.   One type of variant chess games are called what: fairy chess, fay chess or fantasy chess?
A3)        Fairy Chess.

Q4)        According to the Roman Catholic Church, 20th July is the Feast day of Elijah.   According to the Old Testament, he’s a what: Saint, Prophet or Judge?
A4)        Prophet.

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th July is Lempira Day.   Where: Colombia, Brazil or Honduras?
A5)        Honduras.
Here’s a thought … 

“Extremely low temperatures are useful for observation of quantum mechanical phases of matter such as superfluids and Bose–Einstein condensates, which would be disrupted by thermal motion.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the record.

And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        Glad it got through, Debbi!   Did I mention I’ll be watching, tonight … ?   I’m looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Antarctic

Q2) The USSR

Q3) South Pole

Q4) Vostok Station

Q5) Centigrade
It was a busy day yesterday, Paul. We went to visit the first house designed by Gaudí, we chatted, we did a fair amount of walking... I already had a sore throat, and it is a bit worse today. Well, I think it is developing into a cold, and they are always particularly complicated in the summer, as you don't fancy doing any of the things you're supposed to do (and it is too hot for them).
I always think that I won't win at anything like lottery tickets, or anything like that (to be fair, I rarely do), so it is curious. I tend to expect things not to go my way. And I am not at all a gambler. It doesn't interest me in the slightest.
I think saving up some of the money is the best thing to do. You don't know how the decision might go, or how long it might take to get resolved, and I don't know if there are any conditions attached.

Freda said...

1 Antarctica
2 Russia
3 North Pole
4 Vostock
5 89.2

Debbi said...

I spent a good deal of time in bed this afternoon. Now coughing up a storm.

1. Antarctic
2. USSR
3. South Pole
4. Vostok Station
5. centigrade