Wednesday 19 July 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th July, 2023.

19th July, 2023.


It’s Wednesday … and it’s raining>

Well … drizzling: let’s put it that way.

Which makes a change from this time, last year.

19th July, 2022, was the hottest day in the UK, on record.

I’m thankful things have changed!

~≈¥≈~

I’m tired: partly … ?

Because I went to bed late.

After finishing my last review of The Mandalorian’s third series.


And helping my nephew with his most recent ones.



Oh, and helping him with his Spanish homework.

Oh, at least, letting him use my laptop, to do his Spanish homework.

Either I’m boring, or it was very last minute!

~≈¥≈~

So … I was up late … after getting up early, yesterday.

I had a Personal Independence Payment  assessment, yesterday.

It went well enough: and the DWP, the Department of Work and Pensions, have formally messaged me to tell me I’ll get a message about their decision … 

In six to eight weeks.

My internal monologue?

Is persistently telling me I’ve won six thousand pounds (£6, 000): and should start eyeballing furnishings, and a new Mac, now.

Which is poisonous: something akin to a gambling addict’s mind telling him this last bet will win him a fortune.

All I can do … ?

Is to keep very aware of that, not get my hopes up … and try and be patient!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        19th July is Martyrs Day.   Where: Myanmar, Thailand or Cambodia?

Q2)        Line 1 of the Metro opened: on 19th July, 1900.   Line 1 of which city’s Metro?

Q3)        Navigation Technology Satellite 2 transmitted its first signal on 19th July, 1977.   It was part of the Global Positioning what?

Q4)        Boxer, Vitali Klitschko, was born on 19th July, 1971.   He’s the current mayor of where: Kyiv, Kharkiv or Odesa?

Q5)        Finally … ?   19th July, 1976, saw the birth of actor, Benedict Cumberbatch. In 2011, he played the Monster, and Baron Frankenstein, in a version of Frankenstein.   Where: the Old Vic, the Royal National Theatre, or the Dominion.
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Priyanka Chopra was born: on 18th July, 1982.   She came to fame in which country’s film industry: India’s, the USA’s or Nigeria’s?
A1)        India’s.

Q2)        18th July is the feast day of Saint Arnulf of Metz.   He’s usually depicted hold what: a rake, a hoe or a garden fork?
A2)        A rake.

Q3)        The UK’s Ballot Act 1872 received the Royal Assent: on 18th July, 1872.   The Act meant elections would take place by what: a show of hands, secret ballot or putting balls in a pot?
A3)        Secret Ballot.

Q4)        18th July, 1389, saw England sign the Truce of Leulinghem.   With which European country: France, Germany or Belgium?
A4)        France..

Q5)        Finally … ?   18th June, 1914, saw the US Congress approve which section of the US Signal Corp: the Aviation section, naval section or submarine section?
A5)        The Aviation Section.
Here’s a thought …
“Today’s ruling blocks one route to Scotland’s voice being heard on independence – but in a democracy our voice cannot and will not be silenced.”
Nicola Sturgeon, born 19 July 1970.
And a video§ …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        Death Valley, you mean, Olga?   I’d heard it was gorgeous: regardless of the weather.   I’m also not surprised it’s got the name.   As I recall, it’s supposed to be the hottest place on Earth.   Those temperatures don’t surprise me!   I did hear about the Chinese temperatures, as well.   Britain had temperatures in the 40s, last years.   Ones in the 50s seems … frightening.
        Did you ever read — or see the film versions — of Dune?   The Fremen, the tribal people in the film, wear things called stilsuits: which recycle the human body’s moisture and make it drinkable.   With the heat waves going on, I think we need something like that!
        I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it, Olga: Timothy Spall’s got quite a reputation!   (It might take me a while to see it: I’ve got copies of Threads, and The Day After, sitting around.   Both films have a reputation.)

        Yeah … I figured that quote might catch your eye, Debbi!   That’s why I went for it!
        At any rate … ?   Quite what’s happened with the answers, I don’t know: I fully expect more problems!
        Now … Did I mention there’s new Dr Who posters out … ?



§        Whenever I hear about Dame Evelyn, I think of a line of Terry Pratchett’s: “Deafness doesn’t prevent composers hearing the music. it prevents them hearing the distractions.”

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Myanmar

Q2) The Paris Métro

Q3) System

Q4) Kyiv

Q5) the Royal National Theatre (I saw it at the cinema, as part of the National Theatre Live. Quite impressive, although not the same as seeing it actually live).
The clothes that recycle one's sweat sound interesting and very useful as things are these days. Keep me posted if you get around to watching the 6th Commandment before I get to it. And good luck on the payment front, but you're right. Be patient. (No diguis blat fins queue el tinguins al sac i ben lligat, is a Catalan saying, similar to the expression about counting your chickens. This one is about not talking about the wheat until you have it inside of a sac and safely tied up. You never know.

Freda said...

1 Myanmar
2 Paris
3 System
4 Kyiv
5 Royal National Theatre

Debbi said...

Nice posters!

1. Myanmar
2. Paris
3. System
4. Kyiv
5. the Royal National Theatre

Olga said...

Hi, Paul. I wasn't sure if I had told you, because I've had quite a few changes in schedule these last few days, but I'm going to meet a friend of mine in a bit, and I probably won't be back until the evening, as I don't see her very often, and we have plenty to catch up with. I was checking, in case you had already posted the teaser and I had a chance to catch it before I left, but I won't have time, and it will be a bit late by the time I'm back (most likely). I just wanted to let you know in case you wondered what had happened.
Have a good day.