Saturday, 6 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 6-4-2013: Sleeping Satellite

Hmmm … 

Look’s like there’s another bout of benefit and tax changes coming in, today.

Can I make a confession … ?

The big one you’d assume would help would be the one that raises the tax thresshold: so that we don’t start paying any tax, under £10, 000.

To be frank, from where I am … ?   It’s not making any difference.

Hmmm … 

Let’s move on, shall we … ?   Before I really rant … 

≈≈≈≈≈

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with bagging five out of five, she also gave the late Roger Ebert a mention, as an inspiration, AND that she’s studied BASIC, back in the day*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 6th April saw the launch of Intelsat 1, the first satellite to be put into what sort of orbit … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which year of the 1960s was this … ?
Q3) Was Intelsat 1 a spy satellite, a communications satellite or a weather satellite … ?
Q4) Science fiction writer, Arthur C. Clarke, is credited with first coming up with the idea of this sort of satellite: in a 1945 letter to which magazine … ?
Q5) What — in 1971 — was the name of the only British satellite to be launched in a British rocket … ?
Q6) And FINALLY … what’s the name of the US agency that launched Intelsat 1 … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 5th April, 1081, saw Alexios Komnenos crowned as the monarch of which Empire … ?
A1) The Byzantine Empire.
Q2) More to the point, in which city was this … ?
A2) Constantinople.
Q3) What’s that city now called … ?
A3) Istanbul.
Q4) That Empire had begun as the Eastern … what … ?
A4) Roman Empire.
Q5) And finally … what were the gold coins issued in the Empire called … ?
A5) The Solidus: Alexius withdrew them and introduced the Hyperpyron .
I’ll leave you with this quote from Arthur C. Clarke …
“I’m often asked why I didn’t try to patent the idea of communications satellites. My answer is always, ‘A patent is really a license to be sued.’”Arthur C Clarke.
And with this song from Lou Reed … 


Enjoy the day … !












*        I’ve said it before, Debbi, and I’ll say it again: you don’t look old enough to have worked with punch-cards … !   (I’m also going to have to admit, I’ve not actually read anything by Ebert: I’ll have to look in him up in the library … )

2 comments:

  1. you could have used this music as you theme is satellites.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTlXHhlhd0

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're kind to say so, Paul. Thanks! :)

    And I love Lou Reed! Great selection. Although, I like Trevor's, as well. :)

    1. geosynchronous
    2. 1965
    3. communications
    4. Wireless World
    5. Prospero
    6. National Aeronautical Space Agency

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.