Saturday 1 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1-8-2020: Love is Like Oxygen

1st August, 2020


Right … it’s official … 

I now have one less tooth than I did, at lunchtime, yesterday.

After have a wisdom tooth out!

Which was fun.

Ish.

In all honesty?

The actually removal went well enough.

The four — four — injections I had, to numb the area?

Definitely left me feeling odd.

~≈¥≈~

Just as a thought … ?

I now know — thanks to Old Peculiar regular, Trevor — that I’ve been mentioned in the local papers: as the story about the phone masts has gone live.

Here … 

What I find annoying, but unsurprising, is the fact that Brentwood Council’s planning committee refused permission to plans for extra masts: on Masefield Court and the Coptfold Road carpark.

Due to the ‘visual impact on residents.’

Visual impact on residents?

Visual impact on residents?

Visual impact be damned.

Visual impact is less important than the ability to phone someone … 

~≈¥≈~

JUST as a final thought!

I’ve caught another episode of The Mandalorian.

It’s arguably light weight … but also very enjoyable.


~≈¥≈~

Just as a seriously final thought … ?

Miniseries, Chernobyl, has done well at this years BAFTAs.   Winning Best Miniseries and Beast Leading actor, for Jared Harris role.

Good.

I’ve seen it, myself.

It’s truly fantastic.

And nice to know something I’ve raved about has done well!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Oxygen was discovered on 1st August.   By whom?
Q2) On 1st August of which year?
Q3) At room temperature, oxygen is a what: gas, liquid or solid?
Q4) Oxygen’s atomic number is eight.   What’s (approximate) atomic mass: 8, 16 or 32?
Q5) Is oxygen a metal or a non metal?
Q6) Oxygen’s most common form is O₂.   It’s also called what oxygen: molecular, molar or masticated?
Q7) Triatomic oxygen is also called O₃.   It’s also known as which O?
Q8) Water is made of two oxygen atoms: and one atom of what?
Q9) Oxygen is a waste product of photosynthesis.   Photosynthesis is part of the life-cycle of what: animals, plants or fungus?
Q10) Finally?   What’s the chemical symbol for oxygen?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The UK issued its last Rum ration.   On 31st July of which year?
A1) 1970.
Q2) The ration had been issued to members of which of the UK’s Armed Forces?
A2) The Royal Navy.
Q3) The ration was traditionally known as which ‘T’?
A3) The Tot.
Q4) What, usually, was added to the ration?
A4) Water.
Q5) Finally … ?   Most rum is made with what: mint, lime or molasses?
A5) Molasses.
Here’s a thought …
“You are (we hope!) consuming oxygen as you read.”
David L. Nelson and Michael M. Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry.
Some music …


Ans some more music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Well, it’s been published, Olga: whether it’ll do any good?   I don’t know: I’ll have to work it into the piece I’m doing for PhoenixFM: it’ll follow the last piece well, I hope!

†        The thumb’s getting better, then, Trevor?   (I think I preferred the dentist doing mine.   The anaesthetic was interesting.   Oh, and my dentist looked like Sasha Dhawan … )

‡        Gosh, I hope so, Debbi!   I think Piers, the reporter, would’ve quoted me … except he phoned my when I was at the dentist!   Oh, did you know HBO’s doing a version of Perry Mason?   And tell Rick, Nathan OWNS that show!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Joseph Priestley (the gas although it seems, German-Swedish chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele had already discovered it. It seems he didn’t get credit for many of his discoveries, and there was somebody before both of them).
Q2) 1774
Q3) Gas
Q4) 16
Q5) Non-metal
Q6) Molecular
Q7) Ozone
Q8) Hydrogen
Q9) Plants
Q10) O
Yes, I've read the article and I agree with your comment. Talk about getting your priorities right! Shame you missed their call, but they still mention you on the article, and it will be useful to quote for your own article.
I hope your mouth is feeling better now. It's a very odd sensation after having any kind of mouth surgery (once they had to do some complicated fillings on my mouth, and they were working for two hours, and I must tell you, apart from bored to death (I think they should have TV or something on the ceiling to keep us entertained), my mouth felt very weird for ages after.

trev-v said...

Oxygen was discovered by 2 people before the person that you expect to be the answer to Question 1. I do not recognise him as the discoverer of Oxygen.

As I cannot answer Q1 and there are 10 questions i will not be answering today.

Debbi said...

He is awesome. And I have seen the new Perry Mason. It's really good. Better than I expected.

1. Joseph Priestly
2. 1774
3. gas
4. 16
5. non-metal
6. molecular
7. ozone
8. hydrogen
9. plants
10. O