Monday 24 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24th August, 2020.

24th August, 2020


Yep: it’s Monday!

Which means — potentially — I could hear about the funding I’ve applied for: for the course I’m doing … 

Frankly?

I’m convinced I won’t: these things do take their time!

It’s going to be a waiting game!

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*† and Debbi*‡ putting in their answers: with both on five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Windows 95 was released on 24th August, 1995.   Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 95 in December of which year?
Q2) What did the USA ban on 24th August, 1954: the American Communist Party, TikTok or intercontinental ballistic missiles?
Q3) 24th August, 2006, saw the International Astronomical Union redefine the word, planet.   This now means what isn’t a planet?
Q4) 24th August, 1936, saw the birth of writer, A. S. Byatt.   Her first novel was published in which year of the 1960s?
Q5) Finally … ?   President Getulio Vargas was found dead: on 24th August, 1954.   Where had he been president of?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 23rd August saw the birth of actor, singer and dancer, Gene Kelly.   In which year?
A1) 1912.
Q2) The first film he directed was released in 1949.   What was it called?
Q3) The first film he appeared in was For Me and My Gal.   The film was made by MGM, co-starred Kelly and Judy Garland, and directed by whom … ?
A3) Busby Berkeley.   (He plays a character called Harry Palmer.   Just not this Harry Palmer.)
Q4) From 1941 to 1957, Kelly made films for which studio?
A4) Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: better known as MGM.
Q5) Finally?   He played Donald Lockwood in Singin’ In the Rain.   Who played Kathy Selden?
Here’s a thought …
“The modern stuff, I can take it or leave it. I like its danceability, but the DJs talk a lot of nonsense.”
Linton Kwesi Johnson, born 24 August 1952.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Right, Debbi, Olga, JUST so you know?   I’ve had a look at the Gene Kelly entry on Wikipedia: and realised I’ve got myself  in a terrible mess.   The entry reads “Best known today for his performances in films such as On the Town (1949) also for his directorial debut, An American in Paris (1951), Anchors Aweigh (1945).”   That really needs re-wording: but it’s what got me thin king he’d directed An American in Paris!


†        One of these days, Olga, I’m going to have to sit down with a Gene Kelly movie!   The best I’ve managed is the Morecambe and Wise version … !
And it’s a shame about the series, it really is … which reminds me, have we heard anything about El Ministerio del Tiempo?   Not seeing it on international media is like having a loose tooth!
I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the radio!

‡        Tell me about it, Debbi!   At least the ones on Instagram seem to have stopped!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2000 (although it mentions an “extended support” that lasted a year more, until December 2001).
Q2) The American Communist Party (I think I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s weird that some people in the USA don’t seem to realise there ever was a Communist Party in the States. I studied there for a year and when I mentioned that while we were talking about a book (Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man, a fantastic book, still very relevant on the topic of race relations), most of the American students looked at me as if I was mad. Of course, a German student (she was from the old eastern block) and I looked at each other as if they were all stupid.
Q3) Pluto
Q4) 1964
Q5) Brazil
No, I haven't heard anything new. Did they dub the series? I wonder if they do for some countries, and they are struggling with the coronavirus situation to get everything ready. It definitely hasn't come back to RTVE, so that's not the reason for the delay. I'll keep checking.
None of the filmographies I found about Gene Kelly were very good, as sometimes they seemed to get confused between the films the did the choreography for and those he directed, and as he gave codirector credits to others as well I think that confused matters even more. I ended up checking on IMDB, but I know of his work with Minnelli (that man was great for his use of colour). Go with On the Town first (Singing in the Rain is great as well) if you've never watched one of his movies. I must confess I couldn't help going around New York humming "New York, New York is a wonderful town" the first time I set foot there. (There's an anecdote about changes to the lyrics of that movie as well... Anyway. Seeing a very young Frank Sinatra in On the Town is actually quite funny. How the man changed!)
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

1. 2001
2. American Communist Party
3. Pluto
4. 1964
5. Brazil

Hi Paul,

David here.

Regards,

David

trev-v said...

A1 There are 2 answers to this Question. Mainstream support ended in 2000. Extended support ended 1n 2001.
A2 the American Communist Party.
A3 Pluto is now a Dwarf Planet
A4 1964
A5 Brazil


Due to your opposition to Windows you know that the Government computer will say NO.

Debbi said...

That's good! About the spam, that is.

1. 2001
2. the American Communist Party
3. Pluto
4. 1964
5. Brazil