Monday 17 August 2020

Nik nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th August, 2020.

 17th August, 2020.



Right … 

It’s Monday … and I’ve just had another go at the new Blogger user interface.

Has Google managed to make any noticeable improvements?

Nope!

The Tag feature is still causing problems: by presenting a list of potential tags, whilst filling in the tags!

I’d possibly be able to put up with the other other alterations to the platform … if Google can get that right!

~≈†≈~

Hmmm … 

I’ve another appointment with the Work And Health program: tomorrow.

At ten.

That’s possibly a good thing.

The last meeting I had generated a couple of job leads.   Admittedly, unsuccessful ones, but at least ones I hadn’t considered.

Right now … ?

We’ll have to see if they can offer anymore help.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

The day also saw Trevor‡ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 17th August, 1994, saw the birth of actress, Taissa Farmiga.   She’s played three different characters in which American anthology series?
Q2) Which Nazi died in Spandau Prison: on 17th August, 1987?
Q3) Orwell’s Animal Farm was first published: on 17th August of which year?
Q4) 17th August, 1953, Saw the founding of which 12-step group … ?
Q5) Finally … ?   The Soviet ship, Arktika became the first ship to reach the North Pole: on 17th August of which year?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The first Commonwealth Games stated on 16th August of which year: 1928, 1930 or 1932?
A1) 1930.
Q2) They were held in which country … ?
A2) Canada.
Q3) What were the original Games called?
Q4) How many nations took part in those games: ten, eleven or twelve?
A4) Eleven.
Q5) Name one of them.
A5) Australia, Bermuda, British Guiana, Canada, England, Ireland, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa or Wales.   (Three of the four UK home nations counted as separate countries.   Canada and Newfoundland were — at the time — separate nations.   Northern Ireland competed as part of Ireland.)
Q6) Name any one of the seven sports featured in the first games.
A6) Diving, swimming, Athletics, boxing, Lawn Bowls, Rowing or wrestling.   (To be fair?   Some sites describe these original games as having six sports: as they combine swimming and diving under the broader heading of Aquatics: I’ll accept that as a possible answer.)
Q7) When were the most recent Games held?
A7) 2018.
Q8) Where were the most recent Games held?
A8) Australia.
Q9) The next Games are scheduled to be held in which year?
A9) 2022.
Q10) Finally … ?   The next Games are scheduled to be held in which of the UK home nations?
A10) England.   (In various places around Birmingham.)
Here’s a thought …
“I hate the PC, with a passion”
Larry Ellison, born August 17, 1944.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I’ve worked out some, Olga: but the ones on the back … ?   Are set up for right hand use.   I think you’d still have an advantage!   There’s always something.   I tend to go for what’s called casual games: things like Pacman and Tetris.   You can’t get a decent version of either, these days!
As for the set ups … ?   Even the chairs are a fortune!


†        Yeah: Little Big are known for their videos, Debbi!   Look up Rock Paper Scissors, if you get the chance.
Now you mention Bocce?   I think the must be related: they all look like distinct cousins of the old French games, Petanque and Boules.


‡        I have to admit, The Shepard’s Crown took me a couple of goes, Trevor.   The first time, I got as far as the dedication, and immediately put it down for six months.   It’s a tough read!
Did you catch all of the final, by the way.   I caught the afternoon session, yesterday: and figured Ronnie would win, by Frame 21 … !

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) American Horror Story
Q2) Rudolf Hess
Q3) 1945
Q4) Narcotics Anonymous
Q5) 1977
My cousin has had pretty interesting equipment over the years for gaming (I remember a chair that looked like a cross between a rocking chair and an egg, that had no legs), but he worked with computers and led a rather spartan life otherwise. Later he got interested in flying and even bought a part of a plane, but he's given up on that (too expensive)!
I hope something good comes from your meeting/call today. Here I'm waiting for September before I try some other enquiries (not heard from the guy about 1-to1 lessons, but I also think that would be more likely after the holidays, although with the increase in the number of cases, and all that, I'm not sure live one-to-one lessons will be much of an option).
I was booked in to help with the local festival, as the radio does live follow-up of the events, this weekend and next week, but the festival has been cancelled (at least officially), although two of the organisers were trying to set something alternative, but I haven't been able to find out how that has gone. I was copied into an Instagram post from Sants 3 Ràdio where they mentioned a "virtual festival" but I have no idea what that entails or if they'll need me or not, so I'm waiting to hear. I somehow get the sense that this year is a total loss, and it's just a matter of surviving it as well as we can.
Take care.

trev-v said...

A1 American Horror Story
A2 Rudolf Walter Richard Hess
A3 1945
A4 Narcotics Anonymous
A5 1977

I went into Shenfield to put my repeat prescription through the GP’s surgery door and stocked up with nibbles etc. ready for a very late night of Snooker. Before Tea time I knew that the evening session was not going to last long. Well done to The Rocket on his 6th World Title.

Debbi said...

Seems everything ultimately relates to things that came before. Like we're always trying to improve on the original. I suppose. :)

1. American Horror Story
2. Rudolf Hess
3. 1945
4. Alcoholics Anonymous
5. 1977

Debbi said...

Petanque and Boules reminds me of a combination of bocce, croquet, and curling without the ice or brooms. :)