Wednesday 26 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-8-2020: The Number 26

26th August, 2020


Right … I’m actually up early, today: I’ve officially Jude sitting.

AND tinkered with some of the new filters in iMovie.

You may have noticed that: if you’ve watched the video.

The Comic Ink filter on the Jester at the start, looks good.

It’s possibly the best looking bit of the clip!

~≈Å≈~

On other fronts … ?

Argh!

My funding request at the Shaw Trust?

Got refused.

It’s a long, complicated, messy story.

On the job front?   Their view was that they couldn’t justify the funding: as there was no offer of work involved.   Just an initial assessment.

Which is annoying, but there you go. 

However?   They also refused a laptop for a for the European Computer Driving License course.

The ECDL people were thinking of getting me into the classroom for the course: supplemented by practise/homework sessions at the library.

They could just about wangle that: for one new learner.   Usually, even with the loosened Covid restrictions in place, they wouldn’t.

Except?

One of the courses I applied for was the ECDL’s Microsoft Access course: that would’ve have taught me how to use the database section of the suite.

The one part of the MS Office suite NOT available at any library?

Microsoft Access.

As there’s no Mac version available?   Installing Access on my machine would have meant installing Windows* onto an external drive connected to my machine, via Boot Camp.

Something I don’t have the money or confidence for.

Shaw’s best offer?   Was, effectively, to offer to go halves with me, once I get a part time job.

I’ve cancelled the course.

Understandably, I’m not happy.

I’m going to be having a long chat with my Job Centre manager, the next time I talk to him.

~≈Å≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Is twenty-six (26) odd or even?
Q2) Twenty-six (26) is two times which prime number?
Q3) Twenty-six (26) is the only integer between a square number, and a cubic number.   Name the square number.
Q4) Twenty-six (26) is the only integer between a square number, and a cubic number.   Name the cubic number.
Q5) Twenty-six (26) is the atomic number of iron.   What’s iron’s chemical symbol?
Q6) What’s twenty-six (26), written in Roman numerals?
Q7) What’s 26 … in hexadecimal?
Q8) A marathon is 26 miles, and how many yards?
Q9) Which neutral, European country has 26 cantons?
Q10) Finally … ?   There’s 26 counties in which country of the British isles?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Is 25 an odd or even number?
A1) Odd.
Q2) Is 25 a prime number?
A2) No: it’s divisible by five, for a start.
Q3) 25 is 5², or 5 squared.   In other words, it’s three squared (3²) plus what squared?
A3) Four squared.   (4²).
Q4) What’s 25: in Roman numerals?
A4) XXV: also written as xxv.
Q5) What’s 25: in binary notation?
A5) 11001₂.
Q6) How is 25% written: as a fraction?
A6) ¼.
Q7) 25 is the atomic number of which metal?
A7) Manganese.
Q8) £25 is also known as which ‘P’?
A8) A pony.
Q9) Pachisi is a board game whose name means 25.   It’s from where: China, India or Thailand?
A9) India.
Q10) Finally … ?   Candidates have to be 25 to stand for the US House of Representatives.   How old does a candidate have to be, to stand for the Senate?
A10) 30.
Here’s a thought …
“I guess, - a greater number of the 26 or so albums that I’ve made are known in Europe than they are in America.”
David Bowie.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        A copy of Windows would cost anywhere from £119.99 to £219.99: about $160 to $290, or €135 to €245, according to the currency conversion tool on XE.com.   There’s cheaper laptops … 

†        Well … it’s official, Olga: the funding’s been cancelled … Ahem!
At any rate, you’re right: this sort of circular thing’s a pain in the bum, pardon my language!   And I’ve seen something similar, myself.   Equity, that UK actor’s union?   Wouldn’t give you membership, unless you’d done at least two auditions …  and you wouldn’t necessarily be allowed to audition … unless you were an Equity member … 

‡        That it does, Debbi!   Oh, by the way … I got two more Instagram scammers crop up, this morning.   They’re like mushrooms, aren’t they … ?

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Even
Q2) 13
Q3) 25 (5²)
Q4) 27 (3³)
Q5) Fe
Q6) XXVI
Q7) 1A
Q8) 385
Q9) Switzerland
Q10) Republic of Ireland
What a mess! I know they offer deals for schools and students, but I'm not sure if we'd be down to the circular logic again. There are laptops that come with Windows already installed, but I'm not sure if that always means the licence is included in the price or not. I wonder if there are going to be many children upgrading computers for school due to the circumstances... Ask Jeff Bezos? I know it's nothing to do with him, but one never knows. Not sure you could get in touch with anybody in Microsoft directly...
Sorry, my mind boggles.

Debbi said...

It is annoying. Yes! :)

1. even
2. 13
3. 25
4. 27
5. Fe
6. XXVI
7. 1A
8. 385
9. Switzerland
10. Ireland

No more numbers, please! :)