Thursday 27 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27th August, 2020.

27th August, 2020.


Right … 

It’s vaguely official: I’ve left a message with my case worker at the Job Centre, telling him what’s gone on with the Shaw Trust’s refusal of my funding request.

I’m not happy about that.

I’m not expecting the Job Centre to be able to do much, either: but I’d’ve got the thing off of my chest!

~≈Ω≈~

I’ve also got to admit, I had my nephew, Jude, over, yesterday.

Hence the mention — in today’s video intro — of silly.

I know it’s daft, but that Comic Ink filter does get a laugh.

Especially when you add silly intros.


No: I don’t know what a Ghillie suit is, either.

~≈Ω≈~

Just as a thought?

David Tennant, the 10th Doctor, is to star in an upcoming docu-drama, Des: in September.

I was fascinated by serial killers, when I was a teenager.

Growing up when the Yorkshire Ripper was on the prowl, learning about Jack the Ripper at the same time, and reading about Dennis Nilson — the killer that Des tells the story of— at the time of the original trial?

And read Killing for Company, the biography?

How could I not?

Seeing the trailer float across my timeline?   Seeing how unnervingly like the real thing Tennant looked?

Well … ?

I’m interested.



~≈Ω≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 27th August saw the first translation of the Bible appear in Afrikaans.   In which year?
Q2) Petroleum was discovered in Titus, Pennsylvania: on 27th August of which year?
Q3) Moldova declared itself independent: on 27th August, 1991.   From where: the USSR, the USA or the UK?
Q4) 27th August, 1899, saw the birth of writer, C. S. Forrester.   What was the name of his 1935 novel, about a steamlaunch owner called Charlie Allnutt?
Q5) Finally … ?   27th August, 1943, saw the birth of Tuesday Weld.   In which 1984 film did she play Carol?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Is twenty-six (26) odd or even?
A1) Even.
Q2) Twenty-six (26) is two times which prime number?
A2) Thirteen.   (13)
Q3) Twenty-six (26) is the only integer between a square number, and a cubic number.   Name the square number.
A3) Twenty-five. (25).   It’s five squared (5²), in other words.
Q4) Twenty-six (26) is the only integer between a square number, and a cubic number.   Name the cubic number.
A4) Twenty-seven.   (27).   (It’s three cubed: 3³.)
Q5) Twenty-six (26) is the atomic number of iron.   What’s iron’s chemical symbol?
A5) Fe.
Q6) What’s twenty-six (26), written in Roman numerals?
A6) XXVI: also written as xxvi.
Q7) What’s 26 … in hexadecimal?
A7) 1A₁₆.   (You can double check it, here.)
Q8) A marathon is 26 miles, and how many yards?
A8) 385.
Q9) Which neutral, European country has 26 cantons?
Q10) Finally … ?   There’s 26 counties in which country of the British isles?
Here’s a thought …
“Mama tried to turn my brother and sister into models, too, but they preferred swimming.   But me, I was the backward child, and I took to modelling immediately.   Anything to escape.”
Tuesday Weld, born 27th August, 1943.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Messy doesn’t start, Olga!   But, yes: it’s mind boggling.   I don’t know how much help Bezos and company could be: I know there’s no Educational Discount button on Amazon.   Apple have one: Microsoft do a Home and Student version of Office, but I don’t know about any discounts on MS hardware.   I think PC makers do some educational discount … but couldn’t tell you where to find them!   There’s possibly going to be a few children upgrading.   And, given what I’ve learnt from the Digital poverty piece?   Children on low incomes would get a LOT more help!
As for the licenses?   Yes: when you buy a new PC — desktop, laptop, ultrabook, what have you — the license for the operating system is part of the price.   Computer makers bulk buy what’s called an OEM version, an original equipment manufacturers version, at extremely low prices.   I’ve seen those go for about £20 (~ €22).   Apparently, Microsoft do charity …

†        Um … I’ve a couple more at the end of the month, Debbi … … … … On a more serious note? I hate another scammer, yesterday!   This one was a bloke!   The mind boggles!   At ANY rate?   Did the trailer for Des show up?   It looks interesting.   That ‘It makes me feel human, again,’ is one hell of a line‡.


‡        Which is possibly a point?   We have a habit of calling serial killers evil.   Or monsters.   What have you.   The problem, there, is they’re not … they’re human.   I’m told killers like Dennis Nilsen do something called depersonalisation in order to kill people, and that this is also seen in soldiers.   I’m wondering if it starts with calling people monsters … and if I’ve misunderstood the term!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1933
Q2) 1859
Q3) The USSR
Q4) The African Queen (I’ve never read the novel, but love the film).
Q5) Once Upon a Time in America
Yes, you're right about the education discounts. I remember when I was studying the Masters and I had just got a different computer, I managed to get software at discount. I know they asked to see something from the university or the school saying you were a student, but that was that. I can't recall how I found out, although it is possible that the university mentioned it. As for Bezos... Well, you never know. You could always write him an e-mail, explain your circumstances, say that you had heard they had donated computers to children and people affected by the current crisis with no means to access and wonder if they had thought about people in similar circumstances to you as well. (Not that I think anything would come out of it, but he sure has plenty of money and is not against a bit of good publicity).
I have seen David Tennant perform in the theatre, and he can pull any role off, I'm sure. As for depersonalization... Well, there are different things. In psychiatry, we'd usually refer to a phenomenon where people feel as if what was happening to them wasn't really happening, a bit as if they were observing what they are doing or what is happening to them from outside (derealisation is when they have the feeling that what they are experiencing is not real, as if it was a dream). Somewhat similar to an out-of-body experience. It tends to happen in situations of anxiety or stress, although there can be other reasons. As a defence mechanism, some people might see others as not human (the enemy, less deserving, whatever) when they have to do things to them that might feel morally incorrect, but dehumanising others, well, we all know about that. I'll have to check the book you mention...
Good luck with everything.

Nik Nak said...

Which is a point: did I mention there’s a couple more numbers themed rounds at the end of the month, Debbi?

As an extra thought, Olga? In theory, when you buy a ne PC, you can refuse to install Windows, and claim some money back. From what I’ve understood, though? The manufacturer will tell you to claim that money from Microsoft. Microsoft will tell you to claim it from the manufacturer … 

What did you say about circular … ?

trev-v said...

A1 1933
A2 1859
A3 USSR
A4 The African Queen
A5 Once Upon a Time in America







I agree with Debbie 10 question sets about numbers are boring. Many more and I am away for good.

Debbi said...

I've never been much into serial killers, but I know lots of people seem to like reading about them. :)

I would think knowing one would be difficult. :)

1. 1933
2. 1859
3. the USSR
4. The African Queen (Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn were great in the movie)
5. Once Upon a Time in America