Friday 7 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7th August, 2020.

7th August, 2020.


I think we can safely say I am tired … and expect to be more tired, tonight.

Frankly?   I want to see the next episode of The Mandalorian, tonight.

Equally as frankly?

I managed to catch the rest of Relic, last night.

And, while I did it in two halves?

I still found it quite a watch.

Certainly on a par with The Babadook, the other Australian horror film I’ve seen.

They are quite something to catch.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 7th August, 1876, saw the birth of which Dutch spy?
Q2) The Ivory Coast became independent, on 7th August, 1960.   From where?
Q3) The Explorer 6 Probe launched: on 7th August, 1959.   Which planet’s atmosphere was it due to study?
Q4) 7th August, 1461, saw Cao Qin attempted a rebellion.   In what’s now which country … ?
Q5) Finally … ?   Writer, Jerry Pournelle, was born on 7th August, 1933.   He co-wrote The Mote in God’s Eye with whom?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 6th August, 1945, saw the first atomic bomb dropped in combat.   On which Japanese city?
A1) Hiroshima.
Q2) The US bomber that dropped the bomb was a B-29 called the Enolawhat?
A2) The Enola Gay.
Q3) The bomb was dropped by the US what: the US Airforce, the US Army Airforce or the US Naval Air Forces?
A3) The US Army Airforce, or USAAF.   (It was replaced by the US Airforce in 1947.)
Q4) The bomb was called what: Fat Man, Thin Duke or Little Boy?
A4) Little Boy.   (The Fat Man dropped on Nagasaki.   The Thin White Duke is David Bowie: who possibly wouldn’t be flattered by the comparison.)
Q5) Finally … ?   This was the first bomb.   The second was dropped on which city?
A5) Nagasaki.
Here’s a thought …
“Silicon is cheaper than iron.”
Jerry Pournelle, August 7, 1933 – September 8, 2017.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I know what you mean, Olga‡: and yes, unlimited certainly helps!   It’s only recently my mobile provider’s upgraded me to 6gb’s, for example.   The 2gb deal I had, JUST about covered my trip to work, and back!   Unlimited, wherever you get it, don’t half help!
Re Blogger?   Right at the moment, Olga, I think what’s causing my issue is the labelling system.   I tried using new interface, last night: and got a continuing error message about it.   Which I think is why the post didn’t save, at first!   I might just have to switch to Wordpress!
About Enola Gay … ?   I was trying not to hand out clues … um … 

†        I just had a look, Debbi‡.   Hmmm … ‘a constant desire to delight customers.’   How DOES one delight customers … ?   At ANY rate … ?   The Blogger back end’s looking like a back end, at the moment!   Seriously looking like a back end …

‡        Google were telling us that the legacy interface would be phased out, permanently, on the 24th August.   They’ve now put up a message that says it’ll be phased out on 1st September.   Hopefully, they’ll either solve that label problem … or drop the idea, entirely.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Mata Hari
Q2) France
Q3) Earth
Q4) China
Q5) Larry Niven
Let's hope you are right about the new interface. Perhaps calling a blogging strike would scare them (not that I'd enjoy it). Jerry Pournelle sounds interesting, although I don't recall having read any of his work. His law of bureaucracy rings very true.

trev-v said...

A1 Margaretha Geertruida "Margreet" MacLeod AKA Mata Hari
A2 France
A3 Earth
A4 China
A5 Larry Niven


Once again your maths is out. Two people sent in answers not three as you say.

Must dash almost time for some more Snooker.

Debbi said...

That's yet another great question you asked! :)

So many questions! :)

1. Mata Hari
2. France
3. Earth
4. China
5. Larry Niven

BTW, I just got The Color of Magic from the library.

Hopefully, I can manage to read it, along with a growing stack of Hammett Award hopefuls! :)

Did I mention I'm one of the judges for a crime writing award? How am I doing this? I just do it.

We saw the end of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels! Now, that's noir! And Nathan Lane is awesome!

There was so much to love/recoil from in that show. :)

Spoiler alert! I totally knew the whiz kid was gonna get whacked on the beach. By Nathan. That's what I call payback! :)

Admittedly, a temporary solution.