Monday 3 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-8-2020: Niger.

3rd August, 2020


Did I mention I had a tooth out, on Friday?

I did?

That’s possibly a good thing.

At any rate, I’m now having to do the next bit of the aftercare treatment.

Yep: forty-eight hours after having that back tooth out?   I have to sluice my mouth out, three times a day, with salt water.

I happy to go along with that.

The last time I had a tooth out, it led to a case of Bell’s Palsy.

Mostly, I’ve now concluded, as a result of me not following orders!

I’d rather avoid another!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Niger became independent on 3rd August: of which year?
Q2) From where?
Q3) The country’s named after what: a mountain, a river or a lake?
Q4) The country uses a currency called the what: dollar, franc or pound?
Q5) Finally … ?   What’s the capital of Niger … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Peter O’Toole was born: on 2nd August of which year?
A1) 1932.
Q2) Which acting college did he attend: LAMDA, RADA or the Central School of Speech and Drama?
A2) The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art: better known as RADA.
Q3) How many Best Actor Oscars did Peter O’Toole win?
A3) None.   He was nominated for eight of them, eventually receiving an Honorary Oscar in 2003.
Q4) He won a Best Actor BAFTA in 1963.   For which film?
Q5) He played an English king, in Becket and The Lion In Winter.   Which English king?
A5) Henry 2nd.
Q6) In 1960, he appeared in The Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice and Troilus and Cressida.   For which theatre company?
A6) The Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford: also called the RSC.
Q7) In which film does O’Toole place Maurice Russell, opposite Jodie Whittaker as Jessie?
A7) Venus.
Q8) In which did O’Toole play the 14th Earl of Gurney?
Q9) O’Toole starred in the stage play, Jeffrey Bernard iswhat?
A9) Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell.
Q10) Finally … ?   1969 saw O’Toole appear in Goodbye, Mr. Chips.   Who played Katherine Bridges, in Goodbye, Mr. Chips?
A10) Petula Clark.
Here’s a motto …
“Fraternité, Travail, Progrès.”
Niger’s motto.
And an anthem …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I know what you mean, Olga: lord knows where the anaesthetic would’ve ended up, if I’d coughed!
At any rate … ?   I’ve got the next article finished: bar a post script, and one last, possible, footnote.   I mentioned the film, Candyman, in the opening, and I’m ummming and ahhing about quoting the Lord’s prayer, backwards.   The film and short story are based on an old urban myth: similar to this.   I’m just wondering how listeners it’ll offend!


†        Yep: he only ever bagged a BAFTA, Debbi: and an honorary Oscar in 2003.   What can I tell you … ?   Apart from Petula Clark’s real first name is Sally … !   At any rate … ?   (From what little I know … ?   I get the impression Ackroyd did the singing on this tune, because Belushi was a little bit too stoned … )

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1960
A2 France
A3 River
A4 Franc
A5 Niamey

Olga said...

Q1) 1960
Q2) France
Q3) A river
Q4) Franc
Q5) Niamey
Make sure to follow the advice this time. I remember we all had a bit of a scare with the Bells Palsy episode (and it can badly affect your eye as well, depending on how serious it is). You've made me think about urban legends now. I'm sure there must be some equivalents here, and I remember stories from when I was a child, about getting a piece of paper with a black mark and about mysterious criminal organisations, but I'm not sure any are quite as memorable (or perhaps it's that here the stories set in little villages and isolated areas were always scarier). I think there's some research to be done there...

Debbi said...

I can believe that about Belushi! :)

1. 1960
2. France
3. a river
4. the West African CFA franc
5. Niamey

Did you hear that my screenplay made the preliminary cut in a contest I entered? :) Whew! I'm cautiously hopeful. :)