Sunday 16 August 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16-8-2020: The Games … !

16th August, 2020.


Yep: it’s a Sunday.

And yes: it’s going to be quietly quiet.

Which should let me catch up with a few things.

Mostly the videos for the next couple of weeks worths of Teaser videos.


One of these days?   That’ll pay me enough to buy a punt!


~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Debbi‡ and my mother putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi on five out of five, and Mum^ on zero.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first Commonwealth Games stated on 16th August of which year: 1928, 1930 or 1932?
Q2) They were held in which country … ?
Q3) What were the original Games called?
Q4) How many nations took part in those games: ten, eleven or twelve?
Q5) Name one of them.
Q6) Name any one of the seven sports featured in the first games.
Q7) When were the most recent Games held?
Q8) Where were the most recent Games held?
Q9) The next Games are scheduled to be held in which year?
Q10) Finally … ?   The next Games are scheduled to be held in which of the UK home nations?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The Wow Signal was picked up at Ohio State University: on 15th August of which year?
A1) 1977.
Q2) The signal was picked up by a telescope nicknamed the Big … what?
A2) The Big Ear.
Q3) The project was part of the SETI project: in other Words, part of the Search for Extra-Terrestrial … what?
Q4) The signal’s frequency was roughly 1420 Mhz.   In other words, that of which gas?
A4) Hydrogen.
Q5) Finally … ?   The signal appeared to come from which constellation: Sagittarius, Cassiopeia or Ursa Minor?
Here’s a thought …
“For athletes traditionally it’s such a fantastic stepping stone to greater things down the track and in the future. Don’t undermine the Commonwealth Games!”
Cathy Freeman, sprinter and Commonwealth Games Gold medalist.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I always think there’s a game out there for everyone, Olgaª.   Mind you, modern games controllers?   I always found fiddly.   I mean … there’s buttons on them for everything!   Up, down, left, right, two different joy sticks, jump, fart, pee and whistle, four buttons on the back of the things … oy!

†        It looks like Ronnie’s aheads in the final, Trevorª.   It could be all over, come lunchtime!   (Hmmm … we’ll have to see if that’s the fort James Burke mentions: I’ve managed to get hold of Connections.   Even after forty years, it’s still a riveting watch!)

‡        I think it’s from Noddy, Debbiª … the Enid Blyton books?   I think the best Dr Who’s done, so far, is the Pharos Project, and that ended in tears!



^        Hello, Mum!

ª        Did I ever mention a Russian band called Little Big, folks?   They’re a bit odd … and have a new single out …

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1930
Q2) Canada
Q3) The British Empire Games (easy to see why the name was changed)
Q4) Eleven
Q5) Wales
Q6) Boxing
Q7) 2018
Q8) Gold Coast
Q9) 2022
Q10) England
My cousin John loved games, although later seemed to mostly play fly simulation games (sometimes friends would get together during their holidays, hook up their computers and play for days on end), and had the whole gear to go with it. The only games I have attempted have been PC games (or those on the tablet, but the same principle, without controllers), and I agree. I can never quite work out what all the buttons are for. But I follow a blog called ScifiandScary (I think I've mentioned it before) and they sometimes review games, and some of the horror games they talk about sound appealing.
https://www.scifiandscary.com/
I hope you enjoy your quiet Sunday.

trev-v said...

Last night at bedtime I managed to finish reading the first of Debbie's novels. It has been on the pile on the floor by the bed for a number of years. I have dipped into it from time to time but other bedtime reading took priority. There is a Dan Browne book that has been in the pile for almost 13 years. It is Digital Fortress and I read a few pages every so often. There is also Terry Pratchett's last book The Shepherd's Crown which i read until a certain death and have had a mental block as to continue reading it.

Most recently I have been reading "non-fiction" books linked to a program I was watching on the History Channel (now Sky history) about the real life 250+ year old search for treasure on Oak Island Nova Scotia Canada.

Debbi said...

Yeah, I saw your tweet with that video. Wow! :)

1. 1930
2. Canada
3. the British Empire Games
4. eleven
5. Australia
6. lawn bowls (I had to pick that one!) (Is that anything like bocce? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocce)
7. April 2018
8. the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia
9. 2022
10. England