Friday 1 March 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1-3-2024 — Saint David’s Day

1st March, 2024: Saint David’s Day.


It’s officially Friday … 

And … ?

I’m still getting some interest in the laptop I’m trying to sell.

Interest, and a lot of it from south of the river … but nothing positive, just yet!

We’ll have to see what happens today.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Trevor§ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        1st March is Saint David’s Day.   Saint David is the patron saint of which Welsh county: Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire or Radnorshire?

Q2)        Saint David is also the patron saint of Naas.   Where is Naas: Powys, Carmarthenshire or Kildare?

Q3)        The saint is supposed to have been the bishop Mynyw.   Mynyw is now called what?

Q4)        Saint David’s got connections to which abbey: Whitby Abbey, Westminster Abbey or Glastonbury Abbey?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Is Saint David’s Day a bank holiday?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        29th February happens once every how many years: four, five or six?
A1)        Four.

Q2)        The last time 29th February occurred, was when: 2020, 2019 or 2018?
A2)        2020.

Q3)        29th February happens during a what: Leap year, Jump Year or Skip Year?
A3)        A leap year.

Q4)        This type of year has how many days: 364, 365 or 366?
A4)        366.

Q5)        Finally … ?   When is the next 29th February: 2027, 2028 or 2029?
A5)        2028.

Here’s a thought … 

“Traditional festivities include wearing daffodils and leeks, […] eating traditional Welsh food including cawl and Welsh rarebit, and women wearing traditional Welsh dress.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the day.

And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        I’ve had a couple more, today, Olga: but they seemed kosher, even if they were too far away to come and pick it up.   That’s an improvement, believe it or not!
        It sounds like February’s generated paperwork!   (We’ve had the wettest February on record, if that’s any help?)
        I have to admit, I wish I’d learnt Arabic.   It’s written right to left, which is perfect for a left-hander like me.   Less discomfort: and less ink covered hands!   Chinese, though … ?   From the little I know, most Chinese people Latin script to type in Chinese on their smart phones: Pinyin, I think they call it!   As for the scripts used it Pakistan and India?   I wouldn’t know where to start!
        Spelling, though … ?   It can’t be as bad as learning to use an apostrophe¶!

        Yeah, I think there’s a lot of snootiness about it, Debbi: joining criminal gangs, that is!   I can remember reading about the various Triads¹ and Tongs, a while back.   They, the Jewish Mobs, and the Yakuza, sounds as class-bound as the Mafia!   (Apparently?   ‘Undzer Shtik’ is Yiddish for ‘This Thing of Ours’: Cosa Nostra, in other words.)

§        I’ll be honest, Trevor: I don’t think I’ve lost much!   Well … I’ve lost six kilos — just shy of a stone — since 2020!

        I saw a thing about languages, a while back, Olga.   Apparently, people can get very picky about writing in Chinese: you do this stroke, first, then this, then the third … 


¹        From what I know, Debbi, the Chinese Triads are supposed to have started as rebels, fighting the Qing dynasty.   I think the Sicilian Mafia claim similar roots.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Pembrokeshire

Q2) Kildare

Q3) St. David’s

Q4) Glastonbury Abbey

Q5) No.
I think writing in Chinese (old style) is an art form. Even the simplified form is very challenging, and the pronunciation... I remember seeing an image of a typewriter for Chinese... Quite something!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_typewriter
Good luck with the laptop!
I have to cover the inauguration of a cricket ground this weekend. Here! I must confess to having no fondness for cricket and understanding nothing about it, so... Although it is a girls' team, and it seems it's a way to challenge prejudice and join people form abroad, so, from that perspective it sounds interesting.

Mum said...

1 Pembrokshire
2 Kildare
3 St Davids
4 Glastonbury
5 No

Debbi said...

So much fighting. Oh, well. :)

1. Pembrokeshire
2. Kildare
3. St David's
4. Glastonbury Abbey
5. no

Happy St. David's Day! :)

Yay for Wales! :)

I'm taking a day off from the internet tomorrow (Saturday). I might stop by here, because ... such an awesome blog. I learn so much. But that's it for me. :)

Cheers!